Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.
My father in law asked me why I didn't do something I told him I didn't have time and he says how? You stay at home doing nothing. You don't work.

Oh this made me so mad! Anyone ever told you that you don't work?? How'd you react?
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (31-40):
CrossStitchMum
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Ugh. My father and brother say this to my Mum all the time. We are a family of 7 kids, shes still got 4 at home and everyone wonders what she does 'with all her free time' she says 'what free time?' just because the kids go to school doesnt mean that the animals dont need feeding/the laundry doing/meals cooked/cleaning done/grocery shopping doing. But when she finally gets 10 minutes to sit down and have a coffee, that is when they walk in and say ' Youve sat there and done nothing all day?' Argh. I get mad when DH thinks that Im just 'lying around' when Im bfing.

aneela
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Some ppl r so ignorant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crissy2424
by on May. 6, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I work full time so I don't know lol I understand, though, why people assume SAHM's don't actually dooo anything. First of all, you ladies are paid in LOVE by all the extra time you get to spend with your child, that Working moms don't. Second, there is SO much chores to do around the house, plus, if your kids are older and have sports/school stuff, that takes up time, plus doc/dentist appointments, etc. It takes A LONG time to get all that done. I think both WORKING moms and SAHM moms work; just in different ways.

brownhoney21
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I can show you better than I can tell you.Ask him if he would like  to do your work for a week.

timon95
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM

i've been told by dh and his mom that i don't know what it's like to work, i don't have a real job, etc. they act as if i've never worked before in my life. whatever. their opions on this matter little to me

sanj1213
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM

No. Nobody has said that to me. 

1squishysmom
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM

My cousin asked me to do something years ago. I honestly don't remember what, but I do remember that I couldn't do it, and she said "Why not? You don't do anything else all day." Seriously? I was LIVID!

arwalters
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Yep I'd be pissed! Luckily both mom & MIL were sahms before kids were school age so they KNOW. I'm busier & more exhausted now than when I was a full time student and working part time
ZamilyMom
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Ask your FIL to spend one week (M-F) watching your kids, doing the housework, grocery shopping, and other errands, getting the kids ready for school, taking them to activities, etc. and then ask him if he still feels that you do nothing.

Kmakksmom
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:53 PM

yep, I've heard that.  I just brush it off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)