Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What is the biggest lesson your mom taught you?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

Mom. Mama. Mommy. Mother. All words I've called my own mom and what I've now been called for six years. Never a day goes by when I don't think about what I'm teaching my kiddo...even if it is just not to use her sleeve as a tissue. We moms teach every day, every second. Sometimes with words, sometimes with actions, often with both.

Like all of you, when I became a mom, I saw my mom in a whole different light. I got it. I got her and why she did certain things. Like a light bulb, but one that could only be illuminated once I too became a mom, mommy, mama.

So, now, after watching the video, I'm thinking about the biggest lesson my mom taught me. It could be the truth that it you never get more than you can handle, as she told me often, when I was struggling or tired or had big, hard things going on - or how valiantly she battled her own hard times, including cancer. It could be how people are more important than any thing, any job, any amount of money...from of course, our family members, but also those we may not know yet who deserve our attention. It could be that it is never too late to do what we want to do, which she showed me as she went back to school after having kids and got her Masters Degree and then her PhD, which she did at age 50.

Right, I know, I could go on and on and this post would be 800 words, but I won't. I'll concentrate on the biggest lesson that resonates a lot with me now.

I think the biggest thing my mom taught me was the importance of showing my kiddo I value her unconditionally. My mom did it with me, and now I do it with my daughter. I value her. I value her words. I place worth on her thoughts, on her being...no matter how tired I am, I am present for her and am here for her. No matter how tired she is or if she's having a day, I love her and am there...giving my kiddo the solid foundation from which she will grow and reach for the stars.

Now, of course, it isn't the easiest to do sometimes, but I attempt it. Often, at the end of a long day, both of us just want to be on the couch, her snuggled into my legs, her head resting on my hip, neither of us talking. No teachable moment happening, no huge life lesson...but in that moment, she knows I am there for her always. And that feeling? That knowlege? It gives her the confidence to go and fly. My mom gave me that and taught me the importance of it. So right now, that's the biggest thing she taught me...though, really, who are we kidding? There are so many more things too.

So, what is the biggest lesson your mom taught you?

©iStockphoto.com/Kameleon007

by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Never give up

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Be kind to others and do not judge until you know the whole book.

4kidz916
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:07 AM

To show respect to others. 

othermom
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM

To spend time with the kids having fun

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Try your best

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Always put things back where you found it!!

liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:11 AM

She taught me to always appreciate the little things in life. 

sukainah
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM

How to be a good mom.  But I don't feel I can live up to how good of a mom she is. :-)

KaylaMillar
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM

persue your dreams

bamababe1975
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Have fun with your kids while you can. They grow up way too fast.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN