Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What is the biggest lesson your mom taught you?

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom. Mama. Mommy. Mother. All words I've called my own mom and what I've now been called for six years. Never a day goes by when I don't think about what I'm teaching my kiddo...even if it is just not to use her sleeve as a tissue. We moms teach every day, every second. Sometimes with words, sometimes with actions, often with both.

Like all of you, when I became a mom, I saw my mom in a whole different light. I got it. I got her and why she did certain things. Like a light bulb, but one that could only be illuminated once I too became a mom, mommy, mama.

So, now, after watching the video, I'm thinking about the biggest lesson my mom taught me. It could be the truth that it you never get more than you can handle, as she told me often, when I was struggling or tired or had big, hard things going on - or how valiantly she battled her own hard times, including cancer. It could be how people are more important than any thing, any job, any amount of money...from of course, our family members, but also those we may not know yet who deserve our attention. It could be that it is never too late to do what we want to do, which she showed me as she went back to school after having kids and got her Masters Degree and then her PhD, which she did at age 50.

Right, I know, I could go on and on and this post would be 800 words, but I won't. I'll concentrate on the biggest lesson that resonates a lot with me now.

I think the biggest thing my mom taught me was the importance of showing my kiddo I value her unconditionally. My mom did it with me, and now I do it with my daughter. I value her. I value her words. I place worth on her thoughts, on her being...no matter how tired I am, I am present for her and am here for her. No matter how tired she is or if she's having a day, I love her and am there...giving my kiddo the solid foundation from which she will grow and reach for the stars.

Now, of course, it isn't the easiest to do sometimes, but I attempt it. Often, at the end of a long day, both of us just want to be on the couch, her snuggled into my legs, her head resting on my hip, neither of us talking. No teachable moment happening, no huge life lesson...but in that moment, she knows I am there for her always. And that feeling? That knowlege? It gives her the confidence to go and fly. My mom gave me that and taught me the importance of it. So right now, that's the biggest thing she taught me...though, really, who are we kidding? There are so many more things too.

So, what is the biggest lesson your mom taught you?

©iStockphoto.com/Kameleon007

by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-26):
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM

To always look to God for guidance.

chrissydan
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
To be confident and I can do it

I have a vision problem abd it was very hard growing up and she was my rock
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

sukainah
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

That sure is the truth!

Quoting bamababe1975:

Have fun with your kids while you can. They grow up way too fast.

sukainah
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM

She sounded like an awesome mom!  Sorry for your loss, but glad she taught you so many wonderful things.

Quoting Firenygirl180:

The biggest lesson my mom taught me was to always stay involved with my kids.  She was battling cancer for about 4 years before she passed away.  She was an aide at my school. She was a class mom.  She was a boy scout and girl scout leader. She made cupcakes/cakes/lollipops for all my birthdays. She was always there for me.  I remember my 5th birthday when I was in kindergarden and she was in the hospital, but I still had dinosaur lollipops to bring in for my class.  I don't know if she made them or if my best friends mom did, but they were there.

LancesMom
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Expect the unexpected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement