Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you celebrate Mother’s Day?

Posted by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies

We've been chatting a bit about Mother's Day here at CafeMom (especially what kind of gifts you may get -- your eighth homemade potholder? Your third handprint mug?). It's a big day, the top holiday for florists, of course, and it's when we get to do whatever it is we want to do (or at least that is what they say is supposed to happen).

I'm curious...how do you like to spend the day? More specifically, do you spend it with your kids or without? Now, I know, for many folks, Mother's Day is a family affair. Brunches, lunches, dinners with many generations of moms gathering. But others, I know like to have their own time, perhaps grabbing a facial or a massage, perhaps just lying in bed in the morning, undisturbed for hours.

Part of me gets this. It is a rare treat, this alone time thing for moms. There just isn't that opportunity most of the time and, if there is, often we don't take it. We feel like we should be doing something else. But, on Mother's Day, we give ourselves permission to do it.

It may be the greatest Mother's Day gift we give ourselves: the "ok" to take some Me Time. When Mom is recharged and refreshed even after just a few hours (dang, even one hour of sleep-in time!), it's amazing and beneficial for everyone.

Will you be spending part of mother's day by yourself? What are your plans?

©iStockphoto.com/ Anthony Rosenberg

by on May. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM

It will be a nice day & most likely quiet :)

chrissydan
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:09 AM
First mothers day no idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Church... Then over to moms... She will be heard the ought the states... When she opens her gift!! ;) 

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I asked df to make me breakfast because he asked what I wanted. It was originally breakfast in bed, but we have a 9 month old and he can't watch her and make me breakfast. I'm not sure yet what we are doing for my mom, I am thinking of making her a grapefruit body scrub from me and dd. And then on Sunday we will probably have a small cookout in our yard, nothing hugely special.

mrswillie
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM
usually planting and cooking out.
goddess99
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:09 AM
We are going to my mom's for lunch, I probably won't be by myself that day.
liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I work retail, and Im ALWAYS working on mothers day. This will be the 2nd since becoming a mom 7 years ago that Im off. Im very excited! Ill be spending my day planting flowers with dd, then going to see my mom. 

Dh will be away on a camping trip. I told him to go for it because I figured Id be working lol. 

elasmimi
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Mother's Day is always a little sad for me, and this year dh will be working so I will not be having much of a celebration.

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I'll be spending most of Mother's Day in the car driving to and from my sick MIL's house.  

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:32 AM

We are going to a concert and to stay in a hotel overnight on Saturday. Sunday will be time with us as a family, but it is a nice treat to get a mom's night out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)