Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you get out of a funk?

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 52 Replies
1 mom liked this

Let's imagine for a second that you have been having one of those days...maybe you are sleepy (well, more sleepy than normal) because one of your kiddos decided she needed a drink of water at 2 am and just as you dozed back to sleep, the other kiddo had the same thirst (why they couldn't time it together is what you asked yourself as you ferried the second glass of water back to the kitchen). Your shoes were giving you blisters on your back left heel. You forgot to get out the chicken to thaw for tonight's dinner so it is fish sticks and mac and cheese again...for the third night this week.

It was one of those days...we all have them. Your kids have those days too. Those days, well, you just get into a funk. Luckily, we have a go-to trick to get us out of it, to shift the mood, change the day's mojo. When the kiddo was little, we used to "shake out the ugly willies" meaning we would just shake our bodies and, usually, end up giggling and saying bye-bye to that funk.

Our go-to trick now? Music. We turn on iTunes and have some sort of dance party or, if we don't have time for a dance party as we are in the middle of homework or dinner, we turn it up (not too loud) and listen and let the music calm our savage beast of a day. Full confession: I do this even if kiddo isn't around. It is amazing the power of a good tune to change your mood.

What is your go-to trick to get out of a bad mood or a funk?

©iStockphoto.com/damedeeso

by on May. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I listen to music and go get active. Kickboxing with friends helps a lot with that! =)

meam4444
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I usually go for a drive or a walk....just depends if I how many kids I have with me.

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Listen to Backstreet Boys, they always make me feel better.

othermom
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:38 AM

listen to music, read a book, get outside

lalasmama2007
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I go for a walk or go shopping.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Go for a walk

ceciliam
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Usually, I just get up and get moving!

kellynh
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Music and cleaning...lol

LOVE_mygirls58
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I bake and clean

Kmakksmom
by on May. 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I turn on upbeat music and dance with my kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN