Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

The happy birthday song is now offensive?????

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 240 Replies

Yesterday was my Dh's birthday and we went to Olive Garden. When it came time for dessert, the waitress brought out an ice cream sundae with a candle in it and encouraged us to sing.  In the past a lot of the staff came out to sing. We later asked why and she said that a while back someone wrote the corporation saying that they were eating dinner there and were offended when the staff came out singing. It seems their particular religious beliefs didn't allow these type of celebrations.
I was stunned.   Thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conweis
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:38 PM
8 moms liked this
They should inform the staff ahead of time. I don't think they should stop it altogether
Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:40 PM
14 moms liked this

So because of one family no one can sing happy birthday?  That's a little ridiculous.  I could see if there were multiple birthdays that night and the staff was singing repeatedly.  but for one or two birthdays I see no issues.

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM
2 moms liked this
That does seem odd. I also have to wonder if it has anything to do with it also being a copy righted song.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Hmm..I would be just as stunned as you are

PinkButterfly66
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM
9 moms liked this

I HATE it when the restaurants servers all come out to sing happy birthday. It is off-key and obnoxious.  Glad someone has finally put a stop to it, it was annoying as hell.

Charizma77
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Strange but nothing surprises me anymore

MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Interesting

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM
I think this is crazy. And most places make up their own song so it's not the copyright version. I hope this isn't at every olive garden.
copperswifey
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM
10 moms liked this

hmmmmmm, that is pretty sad when you can't sing happy birthday anymore. We won't be able to do anything anymore. It seems like it's getting out of hand lately :/

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I think the copyright just ran out in the past couple of years, so now restaurants can use it... As opposed to all the birthday songs you hear at places like Applebees.

OP, I have never heard of that. It seems silly that a chain would change such a popular policy based on ONE letter. I know that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays, but I can't imagine they are writing to every restaurant in droves to get birthday celebrations banned. My JW friend growing up wasn't bothered that I celebrated my birthday, she just wouldn't go to parties or have her own party.

Quoting MamaMandee:

That does seem odd. I also have to wonder if it has anything to do with it also being a copy righted song.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement