Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How young is too young to get married?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

When BF and I announced out engagement recently, my parents weren't over enthusiastic. My mom believes we're "too young," even though we're both in our mid-20's and employed. To top it off she was 19 when she got married! She was less upset when we announced we were PG 5 months ago.  That was fine but marriage is not?? How can I convince her this isn't a mistake?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
conweis
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:00 AM
2 moms liked this
Don't. Let her see through your actions as a married couple
k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I don't think you are too young to get married. I don't think age is really the most important factor in whether you get married or not, but how long you have been with your SO, how strong your relationship is and how much you two are committed to each other.

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I don't think age has anything to do with it. You could be in your mid 30's and still act like a teenager. Df and i weren't even dating when i got pregnant with our first and we've had our UPS and downs and now we have 2 kids. We plan to get married next summer. We are both 26, but we don't have the financial stability to get married and the benefits of us not being married right now are greater than the benefits we'd have if we were married.

katvixenstar
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
I agree with this :)

Quoting conweis:

Don't. Let her see through your actions as a married couple
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Octobersmom
by on May. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM

My husband and I were 21 when we married 13 years ago.  Kids are a MUCH bigger commitment and life change than marriage.

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

huh talk about somewhat of a hypocrite! does she not want you to follow in her shoes? we were engaged and both 21. got married at 22. we had dd1 at 21.

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:44 PM

dh's mom pushed marriage and we werent for it until we were ready

brittany208
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you are too young, strictly looking at your age. maybe by "too young" she meant "not ready." how long have you two been together? Are you financially stable? Emotionally mature? Any other warning signs you aren't telling (or maybe havent really realized yourself).

Maybe she regrets getting married as young as she did and that's why she wants you to wait.

and about not being mad about the baby--perhaps she didnt bother being mad about that because what is done is done, but with marriage you still have a choice and shouldnt rush into it.

i dont know, im just trying to think of possible reasons

conweis
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I agree

Quoting Octobersmom:

My husband and I were 21 when we married 13 years ago.  Kids are a MUCH bigger commitment and life change than marriage.

chrissydan
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Age is really just a number my dh and I got marrief when he was 21 and I wad19 still going stronge.
My brothers on the other hand one is 28 the other 25 are nowhere near getting married to inmature and yeah just not ready. If you think you are go for it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN