Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is my daughter on the path to depression?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

Every now and then, my 10-year-old daughter cries (usually when she doesn't get her way) and says things like, "Nobody loves me!" My family has a history of depression and I wonder if my daughter's behavior is normal, or if it is a sign that she is depressed.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Those don't sound like symptoms of depression, they sound like typical girl emotions.

Clinical depression is fairly well documented in terms of symptoms like loss of appetite or enjoyment in activities, sleep issues, etc. Maybe look online at depression symptoms and see if you're noticing any of that kind of behavior in her. But the little that you've described above wouldn't be a concern for me.
liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Those don't sound like symptoms of depression, they sound like typical girl emotions.

Clinical depression is fairly well documented in terms of symptoms like loss of appetite or enjoyment in activities, sleep issues, etc. Maybe look online at depression symptoms and see if you're noticing any of that kind of behavior in her. But the little that you've described above wouldn't be a concern for me.

I agree. What shes doing (if those are the only things youve noticed) just sound more like pre-teen girl dramatics. 

Hi_Rae
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM
I dont think so. That sounds like pretty typical pre teen girl over reacting/dramatics
katvixenstar
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM

my daughter is 7 and she's starting saying things like that. i remember saying stuff like that. 

it's just girl drama.

slw123
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Sounds like what a normal 10 year old girl does.

ceciliam
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Sounds like a sign of wanting attention.

othermom
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I don;t think it sounds like depression

trisha903
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Meet a girl's world
k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I agree with others, it sounds like she's just being dramatic.

sukainah
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM

It does sound normal.  My son has been seeming depressed and actually had a test for depression.  It came back as not having depression.  He acts out when he gets in trouble and says terrible things that surprise me.  I took him to the pediatrician and he said he needs more invididual attentions and some time-outs.

He just needs attention and I don't blame him, he doesn't get any one on one time because his little brother is always around and kind of get in trouble a lot.  So it's up to me to work on this. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)