Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Mom Arrested for Putting 3-Year-Old Up for Adoption on Craigslist & That’s Not Even the Worst Part

Posted by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
  • 37 Replies

Mom Arrested for Putting 3-Year-Old Up for Adoption on Craigslist & That’s Not Even the Worst Part

posted by Jeanne Sager 

Stephanie RedusWe've had more than a few "tried to sell the kid on Craigslist" stories floating around the Internet in recent years. Way too many, if you ask me. But there's something about the latest mom charged with trying to adopt out her 3-year-old son via a Craigslist ad that's a bit unusual.

The mom, Stephanie Redus, doesn't sound like your typical jerk mom who would use Craigslist to offload a kid because she doesn't care. I can't get truly enraged at her. If anything, I read the Texas mom's story and I felt ... pity.

The pangs of sympathy don't excuse what she's accused of doing. You just don't put your kid up for adoption on Craigslist, people. Who knows what kind of sicko is out there, just waiting to pounce?

That said, read what Redus' allegedly posted online:

Hi, I’m trying to adopt out my three year old son. I’m not in a good place in my life and don’t feel like I can care for him properly, but I don’t know where to start. If you or know anyone who is interested in caring for him please let me know. I’m a single mom and can’t do this. Thanks, Desperate.

Does that sound like a mom trying to make a quick buck? A mom who really doesn't give two craps about her kid? Notice she repeats the words "care (or caring) for him" twice in there.

Call me a sucker, but Redus sounds ... like a fairly good mom.

Hey, I said fairly. She is charged with trying to arrange a Craigslist adoption.

But I should probably also tell you that Redus is pregnant.

Does that make you feel more sympathetic?

Me too.

It's HARD out there for parents who are feeling overwhelmed. There are "safe haven" laws, but in most places, they don't extend much past a baby's birth. Even finding a good babysitter to watch your kid for a few hours so you can get a handle on things is tough in this economy. As a recent report shows, the price of childcare has DOUBLED in the past 25 years.

Parents struggling with toddlers (or older kids) either have supportive family and friends to help out or ... what? Who will come to their aid when they're swimming as hard as they can and feeling like the undertow keeps pulling them in?

If we really want to put an end to the "kid being sold on Craigslist stories," maybe we need to look at why they keep happening.

So yes, we punish these parents who turn to Craigslist ... and we do something about the total lack of resources for struggling single parents out there.

That is how we make society better.

Do you feel sympathetic for this mom's plight? What do you think should be done with her?

by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I know things can be tough as a parent, but never offeringa child online. Ask friends and family for help or something

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I do feel a little sorry for her.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:00 PM

That is just sad. What is she going to do with her new baby or will she even have it? I think it's a cry for help, but I don't know what to suggest for her. My guess would be that she doesn't have family to turn to.

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:05 PM

i'm sorry but i dont feel sorry for the mom.  i feel sorry for the children :( 

it's called CPS, she can call them

chattycassie
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I feel sad for her, like it says in the article there are no :safe havens" for toddlers. She should have went to CPS and asked for help but she may think she would go to jail for it. I feel really sorry for that new baby she is carrying. :(

Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Yah.  She is expecting already and can't handle the child she has. It sounds like a racket to me.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I agree that we as a society don't do a lot to prevent families from coming to this crisis point... If it's not trying to put your kid on Craigslist, it's that CPS has to come in and remove a child from his/her family. What if we were willing to offer way more servies in the first year of a child's life, or intensive in-home services prior to any change in a child's living situation? Sure CPS would do what they could in terms of services and supports, but it is temporary and very limited by budgets.

I know not everyone parent would take advantage of the services, and there is certainly a real need for CPS and for foster care. I just feel as though we fail struggling families over and over; I've seen it. I don't know what the solution is, but there really aren't many good ones out there at the moment...

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I have jokingly told the kids I was going to put them on Ebay but I would never really do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Quoting k9l1c5:

I do feel a little sorry for her.

KayLundy3
by New Member on May. 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM
I feel bad because she seems depressed, but she ought to have known better. It's called Google, Bing, yahoo whatever. Any of those could have told her how to start the adoption process in her state or at least educated her on safe haven laws. I do not understand how she thought going on craigslist to give away her child was okay.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)