Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Mom Arrested for Putting 3-Year-Old Up for Adoption on Craigslist & That’s Not Even the Worst Part

Posted by   + Show Post

Mom Arrested for Putting 3-Year-Old Up for Adoption on Craigslist & That’s Not Even the Worst Part

posted by Jeanne Sager 

Stephanie RedusWe've had more than a few "tried to sell the kid on Craigslist" stories floating around the Internet in recent years. Way too many, if you ask me. But there's something about the latest mom charged with trying to adopt out her 3-year-old son via a Craigslist ad that's a bit unusual.

The mom, Stephanie Redus, doesn't sound like your typical jerk mom who would use Craigslist to offload a kid because she doesn't care. I can't get truly enraged at her. If anything, I read the Texas mom's story and I felt ... pity.

The pangs of sympathy don't excuse what she's accused of doing. You just don't put your kid up for adoption on Craigslist, people. Who knows what kind of sicko is out there, just waiting to pounce?

That said, read what Redus' allegedly posted online:

Hi, I’m trying to adopt out my three year old son. I’m not in a good place in my life and don’t feel like I can care for him properly, but I don’t know where to start. If you or know anyone who is interested in caring for him please let me know. I’m a single mom and can’t do this. Thanks, Desperate.

Does that sound like a mom trying to make a quick buck? A mom who really doesn't give two craps about her kid? Notice she repeats the words "care (or caring) for him" twice in there.

Call me a sucker, but Redus sounds ... like a fairly good mom.

Hey, I said fairly. She is charged with trying to arrange a Craigslist adoption.

But I should probably also tell you that Redus is pregnant.

Does that make you feel more sympathetic?

Me too.

It's HARD out there for parents who are feeling overwhelmed. There are "safe haven" laws, but in most places, they don't extend much past a baby's birth. Even finding a good babysitter to watch your kid for a few hours so you can get a handle on things is tough in this economy. As a recent report shows, the price of childcare has DOUBLED in the past 25 years.

Parents struggling with toddlers (or older kids) either have supportive family and friends to help out or ... what? Who will come to their aid when they're swimming as hard as they can and feeling like the undertow keeps pulling them in?

If we really want to put an end to the "kid being sold on Craigslist stories," maybe we need to look at why they keep happening.

So yes, we punish these parents who turn to Craigslist ... and we do something about the total lack of resources for struggling single parents out there.

That is how we make society better.

Do you feel sympathetic for this mom's plight? What do you think should be done with her?

by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Replies (31-37):
conweis
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2013 at 8:56 PM
This

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

i'm sorry but i dont feel sorry for the mom.  i feel sorry for the children :( 

it's called CPS, she can call them

RobynS
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Oh my... it makes my heart heavy to read this. I cannot imagine ever feeling so desperate that I would want to part with one of my children. Gut-wrenching!!

She needs some counseling, for starters... Hard to say what else, since we don't know her and don't really know her whole story.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Why doesn't she try to adopt out the baby she is pregnant with and not the one who is 3 years old?
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM

No I dont. She could go to an adoption center.

KaylaMillar
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 12:42 PM

dont feel sorry for her at all 

sukainah
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

There are other ways she can get help and keep her kid!  It just seems like she is trying to unload her kid.  And what is she going to do with the baby?!

arpazia
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM
She can't handle it.
Better to be put on cs than stabbed and drowned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement