Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Confessions on wasted time

Posted by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

So, Mother's Day was coming up. I knew I wanted to send my mom something, nothing huge, but a token, a little "I'm thinking of you" something-something...I didn't know what. She loves tea, and a mug is always a good choice. So I spent a bit of time browsing online for the right mug.

Okay. Right. A bit of time actually means a few hours.

I know, I have a problem. Maybe you have a similar one...I have this one thing where I just waste a ridiculous amount of time. Minutes, hours, (sigh) days focused on something that should not -- no matter how you look at it and swirl it around -- should take. For me, that is buying gifts. Yes, I love my mom, but she's not the only person I will spend hours choosing a gift. (Sorry, Mom!). Oh no, I am an equal-opportunity time-waster when it comes to giving gifts.

For me, it is gift buying. For you, it could be getting dressed in the morning or doing your makeup or deciding what to make for dinner that day. We waste time. Time when, in the moment, you can hear yourself saying, "Um, really? We're overthinking this a bit, donchathink?" Wasted time, precious time, time that we all complain we don't have enough of...yet we all have our specific thing that sucks us into that time-wasting black hole.

There are tricks we can all do to stop that cycle of wasted time. Give yourself a time limit, set a timer. It may work...it may not, because, well, you can always just keep going or reset the timer. But I try. I do. I really do.

Okay, what do you waste too much time on? How do you stop wasting your time? 

©iStockphoto.com/ AnsonLu 

by on May. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lillucky8
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:25 AM
Online shopping seems to be an easy time waster for me. I get emails from several stores about sales and often shop, choose items, and let them sit in the cart and never buy them. I tend to do the i like this but do i need it kind of thing and never end up buying it.

The best way for me not to do it is to not touch my computer lol, one good thing about my phone is the screen is small and annoying for shopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I do a lot of internet shopping...yea, total waste! I have to just close the windows and keep my mind focused to avoid doing it.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Right now mine is reading blogs... It can be a total time suck! I don't read them on my phone, so I just try to turn on my computer only if I need it.
meam4444
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Happy I'm not alone!  Or, I spend hours just searching for the best deal on something.

Quoting lillucky8:

Online shopping seems to be an easy time waster for me. I get emails from several stores about sales and often shop, choose items, and let them sit in the cart and never buy them. I tend to do the i like this but do i need it kind of thing and never end up buying it.

The best way for me not to do it is to not touch my computer lol, one good thing about my phone is the screen is small and annoying for shopping.

lillucky8
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM
I do that too! I didnt even think of that. I spent endless hours searching for the best price on ds carseat last xmas.

Quoting meam4444:

Happy I'm not alone!  Or, I spend hours just searching for the best deal on something.

Quoting lillucky8:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Browsing the internet :)

liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Playing around on the computer is definitely my biggest time waster.

I just try and stay out of the room its in lol and I dont have a smart phone so I dont have to worry about that.

othermom
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I waste my time playing on the computer, lol, not sure how to stop

k9l1c5
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Cafemom lol

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM

yep online shopping. sometimes i lay in bed for a few min when i'm thinking i should be getting up and doing xyz before the day goes crazy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)