Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Curious on your thoughts...Should PG teens get maternity leave from school?

Posted by on May. 30, 2013 at 7:17 AM
  • 32 Replies

Do teen moms deserve time off from school to care for their babies or is it sending the wrong message?

How much time?

by on May. 30, 2013 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Well someone has to take care of the baby and it shouldn't just be "grandma". To me that's sending the wrong message, you screw up and mom is just there to fix and take care of everything. There should be a couple months maternity leave and then the baby goes to the school's day care.

chrissydan
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
As we are seeing more and more teen pregnancy I think maybe it would be a good thing as we all know ajusting to a baby is hard wor I weather your a teen or an adult or single. I wish there were more alterntive school options to help teens finish schoil. Just because you scrwed up doesn't mean you should be set for failure for the rest of your life.

I want to however point out I do not promote teen pregnancy or sex but sometimes what is done is done
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM

No, there shouldn't be. It is sending the wrong message if they allow that. Of course, the mom could always just miss school anyways and it would count against her for attendance, but she shouldn't have gotten pregnant in high school.

liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Quoting goddess99:

Well someone has to take care of the baby and it shouldn't just be "grandma". To me that's sending the wrong message, you screw up and mom is just there to fix and take care of everything. There should be a couple months maternity leave and then the baby goes to the school's day care.

I dont know how common that is but I havent heard of any schools in our area with daycares. 

loveTHEviking
by on May. 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I agree with this!

Quoting goddess99:

liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I think they should just let the mom take online classes from home if she wants to stay home. This way she can still be home spending time with baby, but not falling behind. I know online can be harder, but I think giving actual time off is giving in too much and saying its ok.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:33 AM

We live in a small town and our high school has a day care. I thought it was common. Our graduating classes here are maybe 300 kids but yet there's a need for day care, kinda sad.

Quoting liveforever:

Quoting goddess99:

I dont know how common that is but I havent heard of any schools in our area with daycares. 

brownhoney21
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Quoting goddess99:

brittany208
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM

wow this is a tough one! I think its a sad thing that as a country we would need something like that. so I dont know about a law or policy. but as a teacher, I would absolutely bend over backwards to help the girl.

brittany208
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2013 at 9:41 AM

our HS had one too. we didnt have a lot of teen pregnancies so I dont know where the babies came from but the early childhood classes took care of them during the day. I think its an absolutely fabulous idea for teacher's kids and if there's a pregnancy, they could use it too 

Quoting liveforever:

Quoting goddess99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)