Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is It Okay to Co-Sleep with Your Kids?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 84 Replies

It’s one of the most hotly-debated topics on CafeMom. Is co-sleeping always a good idea or is there an age when it’s time to kick the kid out? Mary Fischer, mom and Staff Writer at The Stir shares her co-sleeping story. 

Is It Okay to Co-Sleep with Your Kids?

by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I think it really, really depends on the family. It is definitely not safe for everyone. And I would NOT want anyone to do it who hadnt thoroughly researched it and who didnt meet all thhe qualifications for doing it safely.

We didnt plan on co-sleeping with my first. I just fell asleep with him in the hospital and it just felt so right. He slept in my bed for two weeks, in our room in his crib for 3 months, then he moved to his own room no problem. I do NOT want babies in the bed long term, but its perfect for us in those first couple weeks of breastfeeding around the clock.

Randi02
by Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM

It's not safe for everyone.

It IS  NOT safe if you're bottle feeding, obese or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, suffering from any sleep disorders, sleeping on a couch or recliner, a smoker, or if you sleep with loose/fluffy bedding.

Baby should only ever sleep next to their breastfeeding mother, and always at chest level.

We bedshare from birth :)

Janet
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Yes, I think it is up to a certain age.

Ambear72
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I have co slept with my oldest two children.  I enjoyed it.  With my oldest I was a single mom and I felt safer having my son right there with me in case something happened.  He was easy to get into his own bed.  I found out I was pg with #2 and told him he couldnt sleep with me because he might kick my tummy and hurt the baby.  He never slept with me again.  My second son I was able to breast feed so I had him with me.  He has been harder to get into his own bed, in fact he is still with me.  Thats because his Aunt is in his room right now and he dosnt have a room or bed to sleep in.  I think when we move and he gets a room to himself he will be easy to get out of the bed.  I have really enjoyed co sleeping with my boys.  My girls havent slept with me much.  Maybe because there was 2 of them and having 2 babies in bed with me was a little nerve racking.  Once in awhile my girls will try to sneak in and sleep with me but its not often. I loved the experience of co sleeping and looking back I wouldnt change it!

Ambear72
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with all of this but the obese part.  Im a big girl and my older 2 sons slept with me.  But totally agree on the other points  here.

Quoting Randi02:

It IS  NOT safe if you're bottle feeding, obese or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, suffering from any sleep disorders, sleeping on a couch or recliner, a smoker, or if you sleep with loose/fluffy bedding.

Baby should only ever sleep next to their breastfeeding mother, and always at chest level.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

This.
Except my SO is obese with sleep apnea. Our baby sleeps next to me usually using my breast as a snuggie. 

Quoting Randi02:

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

It's too bad that the co-sleeping mom they talk to is someone who wishes she wasn't co-sleeping.  There are plenty of moms who are happy with co-sleeping.  I'd rather hear from one of those moms.

I think it's ok to co-sleep with your child as long as both parents & child are ok with it.  At some point, they won't want to be in bed with you anymore.

My boys don't really co-sleep with us (at least, as I think of co-sleeping), but every morning they do join us for 10 minutes or so of snuggling.  I treasure that time with them because they are 6 & 4 and I'm sure it'll seem like no time at all until they don't want to.

They do very occasionally join us middle of the night.  I always wake up when they do & usually carry them back to bed after 20 minutes at the most.  But since they are 53 & 43 lbs, I won't be able to do that for much longer!

I think people make a much bigger deal about co-sleeping than is really necessary.

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 2:48 PM

No I do not believe in Co Sleeping  parents are much bigger than babies, toddlers, kids......... I would hate to roll over and smash my child by accident

slw123
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I would not enjoy co-sleeping.  I have slept with the kids in my bed when they were little and sick, but not as a regular thing.

MamaMandee
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 3:19 PM

My kids move around to much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement