Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is It Okay to Co-Sleep with Your Kids?

Posted by   + Show Post

It’s one of the most hotly-debated topics on CafeMom. Is co-sleeping always a good idea or is there an age when it’s time to kick the kid out? Mary Fischer, mom and Staff Writer at The Stir shares her co-sleeping story. 

Is It Okay to Co-Sleep with Your Kids?

by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Replies (81-84):
Ambear72
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I could not get my 2nd child to sleep anywhere but with me.  He still has a hard time sleeping anywhere then with me.  My other 3 no problems.  But #2 wouldnt even nap without me.  So needless to say he didnt nap much.

Quoting kellysparkles:

Me too! lol 

We're starting slow...she naps in there for right now.

Quoting Ambear72:

awe, I hope it works out for you and that you dont have any problems with her going to sleep in the crib.

Quoting kellysparkles:

Same here Ambear; I am obese and we bed-share.  I hadn't planned on it but after my DD's multiple middle-of-the-night feedings and wanting to play (but passing out as soon as I picked her up) it just happened. 

We're in the process of getting her nursery ready for her, though.  This week I'll be installing a shelf for her new video monitor so it pans the whole crib :)

Quoting Ambear72:

I agree with all of this but the obese part.  Im a big girl and my older 2 sons slept with me.  But totally agree on the other points  here.

Quoting Randi02:

It's not safe for everyone.

It IS  NOT safe if you're bottle feeding, obese or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, suffering from any sleep disorders, sleeping on a couch or recliner, a smoker, or if you sleep with loose/fluffy bedding.

Baby should only ever sleep next to their breastfeeding mother, and always at chest level.

We bedshare from birth :)

kellysparkles
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Ahhh that's how DD is!!!  She doesn't nap at all :(  Everybody keeps saying, "Lay her down when she looks tired, she'll fall asleep!" and it just doesn't work..she doesn't fall asleep unless I'm holding her.  And unless she's completely out, she'll wake up the second I put her down.  It definitely makes things difficult :P

Quoting Ambear72:

I could not get my 2nd child to sleep anywhere but with me.  He still has a hard time sleeping anywhere then with me.  My other 3 no problems.  But #2 wouldnt even nap without me.  So needless to say he didnt nap much.

Quoting kellysparkles:

Me too! lol 

We're starting slow...she naps in there for right now.

Quoting Ambear72:

awe, I hope it works out for you and that you dont have any problems with her going to sleep in the crib.

Quoting kellysparkles:

Same here Ambear; I am obese and we bed-share.  I hadn't planned on it but after my DD's multiple middle-of-the-night feedings and wanting to play (but passing out as soon as I picked her up) it just happened. 

We're in the process of getting her nursery ready for her, though.  This week I'll be installing a shelf for her new video monitor so it pans the whole crib :)

Quoting Ambear72:

I agree with all of this but the obese part.  Im a big girl and my older 2 sons slept with me.  But totally agree on the other points  here.

Quoting Randi02:

It's not safe for everyone.

It IS  NOT safe if you're bottle feeding, obese or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, suffering from any sleep disorders, sleeping on a couch or recliner, a smoker, or if you sleep with loose/fluffy bedding.

Baby should only ever sleep next to their breastfeeding mother, and always at chest level.

We bedshare from birth :)

pittymama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM

we co slept for the first 6 weeks, to make life easier/comfortable for everyone. we transitioned her to her bed after 6 weeks. i loved it when she was smaller but couldn't imagine doing it now that she's older and a crazy sleeper. 

Barabell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Not my place to judge other people, but it's something we've chosen not to do. Our master bedroom is our personal space, and our son rarely goes into it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)