Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Should I have said something or minded my own business?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 425 Replies
7 moms liked this

Last Friday I went to the zoo with my DS's  class as a chaperone.  While visiting some of the exhibits I saw several children begin climbing the walls. I promptly asked the children "nicely" not to climb on the exhibits for fear they would hurt themselves or fall in.

A parent who heard me ask her son to get down began yelling and cursing at me in front of my DS and the other children. I said, "I'm sorry," and walked on.

I don't feel I did anything wrong. I was trying to warn the boy that what he was doing was dangerous. Did I do the wrong thing? Or should I have talked to a member of the zoo staff about what happened?

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM
16 moms liked this

If it wasn't a child you were responsible for then I would have minded my own business for that exact reason.

Janet
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:44 AM
34 moms liked this

That's a hard question. You did the right thing in telling those kids to get down. Class chaperone makes it your business. The kids did stop after you told them didn't they? If they didn't I would tell somebody. As long as they stopped. But you don't want to stand there and fight with some ignorant mother. If you would have told it might have made it worse. Your kids have to go to school together. I would have least told the school in private what happened.

loveTHEviking
by on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:50 AM
23 moms liked this

That was really mean of her to do that to you. I see your point but people are just rude and crazy these days! I don't think what you did was wrong but people like her are the reason I mind MY business.

jbjb1024
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
82 moms liked this
Either way, I don't think you would have done the "right" thing. Had he fallen and you didn't say anything the mother would have yelled you, since he didn't fall she still yelled at
you. Had that been my kid, I would have thanked you for correcting my child. She may have felt threatened, like saying hey lady, be a parent and watch your kid.
chrissydan
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM
18 moms liked this
You were right you were ther to help watch the children and keep them safe which is winderful I would not have apologized I would have taken this over to the teacher at a later time so that maybe the school can outline what is expected of a chaperone. I for one would NEVER be spoken to lije that by another adult in front of my child epically at a school function.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chattycassie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM
16 moms liked this

Class chaperone makes it your business. The child was doing something unsafe, if it was not unsafe I would have not said a word but since it could have harmed someone you were in the right IMO

katvixenstar
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM
9 moms liked this

you were a class chaperone, there is no reason for that woman to react that way!

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM
6 moms liked this

You did nothing wrong. It is a safety issue and I would have said something too.

momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:12 AM
7 moms liked this

That parent should have been watching their child

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2013 at 11:29 AM
65 moms liked this

I absolutely would have said something. And if my child were behaving like that when my back were turned, I would not mind one bit of another adult politely told them to get down. Maybe its because I'm a teacher, but I have no problem politely telling other peoples' kids what to do. if they dont like it, then they should have been watching their kids better. but wouldnt it be such a nice world if we all had each others' back and we didn't need to get snotty about it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)