Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

More Commencement Speech Wisdom Nuggets

Posted by   + Show Post

Okay, I had so much fun reading commencement speeches, I just couldn't stop. I think it goes hand in had with my love of quotes. I lovelove(like, reallyreally)LOVE quotes. They give me a kick in the mental and emotional tush when I need them to, are like little post-it notes of wisdom nuggets. And, well, I couldn't let these ones pass by without passing them along to you. 

"You have, which is a rare thing, that ability and the responsibility to listen to the dissent in yourself, to at least give it the floor, because it is the key not only to consciousness but to real growth. To accept duality is to earn identity. And identity is something that you are constantly earning....Peace comes from the acceptance of the part of you that can never be at peace. It will always be in conflict. If you accept that, everything gets a lot better." -- Joss Whedon, Writer and Producer of TV and Film to grads at Wesleyan University in 2013

"Failure gave me an inner security that I had never attained by passing examinations...The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive. You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity. Such knowledge is a true gift, for all that it is painfully won, and it has been worth more than any qualification I ever earned." -- J.K. Rowling to Harvard graduates in 2008

"You also have an internal compass in each and every one of you and I would urge you to listen to it. Follow that voice. Someone much smarter than me once said, "Don't go with the flow. You are the flow." -- Meredith Vieira, journalist and TV host to Tufts University in 2008

"I hope you'll make mistakes. If you're making mistakes, it means you're out there doing something. And the mistakes in themselves can be useful...Life is sometimes hard. Things go wrong, in life and in love and in business and in friendship and in health and in all the other ways that life can go wrong. And when things get tough, this is what you should do. Make good art...while you are at it, make your art. Do the stuff that only you can do." -- Neil Gaiman, author, to the graduates of University of Arts in Philadelphia in 2012

What person would you want to listen to give a commencement speech?

©iStockphoto.com/ JLBarranco

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-40):
TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM
My grandfather
TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Sarah palin
Kmakksmom
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Betty White. I just love her, she's hilarious.

oohh...or Morgan Freeman.
slw123
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I have found Bill Cosby to be very wise.
dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Thank you!

Quoting alliesmom112:

awe!! congrats to her

Quoting dusky_rose:

Well, I just listened to my youngest dd give a speech at her graduation, so nothing could top that right now for me.

Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I have not a clue

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM

About the don't go with the flow comment-   I agree don't go with the flow when it is harmful, but it is instinctive to go with the pack.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM

What person would I want to listen to....  Maybe Hilary.

RobynS
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I just watched Ellen's 2009 Tulane commencement speech and it was FABULOUS! Go watch it... SO good!!

RobynS
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I grabbed the link in case you're interested. She is so wise and so funny! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN