Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

The Best Thing My Dad Gave Me

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

Father's Day is this weekend, folks. It kind of snuck up on me, I have to say. I was standing in front of the card aisle at the store yesterday, staring at the various folded pieces of cardboard, a sea of various shades of browns, tans and blues. Pictures of boats, grills and recliners. Cartoon doggie dads cavorting with cartoon puppies. Cards for Dad from son, Dad from Daughter, Dad from all of us. Cards for Grandpa from kids, cards for son-in-laws, and cards for husbands.

I read a lot of them. Trying to select the "right" one for my dad, a kind of sappy one and of course a funny one. They all were pretty good, and settled on a basic one about what a great dad he is, you know, with pretty script and a ribbon.

And then it struck me I should be in the Thank You card section because what I really want to do on Father's Day is thank him. Thank him for so many things. Of course, his unconditional love and all that jazz. But also for teaching me how to swim, for setting an amazing example of work ethic, for instructing me on how to properly mow a lawn.

But perhaps the biggest thing I should thank him for is teaching me to believe in myself. He has been my biggest fan and, in turn, his never-ending support has helped me become a fan of myself too. He taught me, with his own unwavering faith in me, that I could do anything -- truly anything -- I wanted to in this world. And dang, I changed up what I wanted to do more than a few times (and am still figuring it out), but my dad is always there, nodding, listening and believing in my choices and decisions. That support? That is why I am able to branch out and give it (whatever it may be) a whirl and risk and follow my dreams. Pretty great, huh?

What is the biggest thing your dad taught or gave you?

©iStockphoto.com/Ssstep 

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mikemantha
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Um... That's a hard one because my dad wasn't around when I was growing up but we did work things and the truth came out. We talked a little here and there and me, DS and my mom went it visit when we found out he had 6 months to live because of cancer,  but he passed away in 2008. I regret not knowing my dad and not getting a chance to be with him more and I regret him not knowing my family. 

I do miss him tho. He was only 48 years old. 

Im really thankful for my DH! He's been my best friend from day 1 and I couldn't ask for a better husband and family! 

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

He taught me to love nature

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

What a nice article!

My dad taught me to never give up and what we want.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

You are absolutely right about the "Thank You" card.  My dad is an amazing man and a great role model.  We went everywhere together when I was little, driving across the state of Wyoming, bouncing along the backroads and listening to Chris LeDoux.   He taught me many things, but probably the most important is to put my faith and trust in Jesus Christ and to do everything for Him.

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

His entire life, my father worked hard. Long hours at the office, years of study, saving, and serious work, and today he has, I think, about all he could ask for materially. He was literally dirt poor growing up, but he managed to acheive his version of The Dream through sheer determination.

He taught me that there is always room to work a little harder, to make the extra effort, and be a little more prepared --- that as long as there's anything else you can do, it's still in your court. Every time I'm frustrated and want to give up on something, I'm compelled to admit to myself that I haven't actually tried everything yet. 

Just as importantly, he also taught me that in the end, money, a huge house, and a successful and prestigious career do not equal happiness. He taught me the danger of working too hard, and forgetting to think about what --- and who --- you're working for. :)

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Nice article!  My dad taught me patience and respect.

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

to do the right thing, bc it's the right thing to do.

MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Very hard one cause I wasn't around my Dad much. He passed away 13 yrs this coming October.

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

oh yeah, i shoud add to work hard too. my dad worked VERY hard. we never had anything to show for it though.

Quoting copperswifey:

His entire life, my father worked hard. Long hours at the office, years of study, saving, and serious work, and today he has, I think, about all he could ask for materially. He was literally dirt poor growing up, but he managed to acheive his version of The Dream through sheer determination.

He taught me that there is always room to work a little harder, to make the extra effort, and be a little more prepared --- that as long as there's anything else you can do, it's still in your court. Every time I'm frustrated and want to give up on something, I'm compelled to admit to myself that I haven't actually tried everything yet. 

Just as importantly, he also taught me that in the end, money, a huge house, and a successful and prestigious career do not equal happiness. He taught me the danger of working too hard, and forgetting to think about what --- and who --- you're working for. :)

Ambear72
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My Dad passed away about 25 years ago, but he did a lot in the shirt 16 years I had with him, he taught me how to love, he taught me how to be a cuddle bug, (my mom wasn't much if a cuddler but my dad was) he taught me how important family is and how important honesty is. He gave me the best gift ever and it's a gift I can keep giving. That's Memories! No matter what happens in life no one can take away my Memories! I can loose everything I. A fire or theft but no one can take my memories from me, and with those Memories he gave me the ability to make many many more for my family and with all that he taught me to treasure life, and those around me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN