Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

The Best Thing My Dad Gave Me

Posted by   + Show Post

Father's Day is this weekend, folks. It kind of snuck up on me, I have to say. I was standing in front of the card aisle at the store yesterday, staring at the various folded pieces of cardboard, a sea of various shades of browns, tans and blues. Pictures of boats, grills and recliners. Cartoon doggie dads cavorting with cartoon puppies. Cards for Dad from son, Dad from Daughter, Dad from all of us. Cards for Grandpa from kids, cards for son-in-laws, and cards for husbands.

I read a lot of them. Trying to select the "right" one for my dad, a kind of sappy one and of course a funny one. They all were pretty good, and settled on a basic one about what a great dad he is, you know, with pretty script and a ribbon.

And then it struck me I should be in the Thank You card section because what I really want to do on Father's Day is thank him. Thank him for so many things. Of course, his unconditional love and all that jazz. But also for teaching me how to swim, for setting an amazing example of work ethic, for instructing me on how to properly mow a lawn.

But perhaps the biggest thing I should thank him for is teaching me to believe in myself. He has been my biggest fan and, in turn, his never-ending support has helped me become a fan of myself too. He taught me, with his own unwavering faith in me, that I could do anything -- truly anything -- I wanted to in this world. And dang, I changed up what I wanted to do more than a few times (and am still figuring it out), but my dad is always there, nodding, listening and believing in my choices and decisions. That support? That is why I am able to branch out and give it (whatever it may be) a whirl and risk and follow my dreams. Pretty great, huh?

What is the biggest thing your dad taught or gave you?

©iStockphoto.com/Ssstep 

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-51):
jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM

determination! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN