Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Lately, Kiddo and my husband have been throwing a little nerf-like poof ball around the abode. He's teaching her the proper throwing and catching basics: Step back, shift, step forward as you toss it. Don't catch the ball with your face. Keep your eyes open. You know, the basics. This is definitely one category that he's in charge of illuminating for the kiddo - the sports stuff. Rather gender-stereotype-ish, but really, to say I am not that great at sports stuff is an understatement.

I asked him, though, what would be the main thing he would want to teach her, to guide her through this crazy life. Without hesitation, he said, "I want to teach her to be independent." Now, that can mean a lot of things, I know, so I nudged him to elaborate. "I want her to always think for herself. To make choices not because others are doing it too, or to get validation from teachers or even us, but to choose to do things and act and be because it is who she is and wants to do."

This? This I love. And this is why I love my husband. To say he's a great dad is an unjustice, is not enough. He's an impossibley awesome dad. I learn a lot and am reminded of a lot in terms of parenting when I watch him with Kiddo. The cool thing: we each bring to the parenting table something different in terms of life skills and perspectives. I can never teach her something in the same way he can (and will)...and that is okay. He has his way and I have mine. Sure, we are on the same foundation and all, but she picks up different elements, different bits of Life Stuff from each of us.   

And the best gift I give him this Father's Day (and every other day)? Letting him be the dad he wants to be. Not to nudge (I'm a nudger) or second-guess or impose my "control" over everything (I'm a controller)...that is a big gift, one that doesn't come wrapped in a box. A gift that is for him, but also for my kiddo.

What are you giving your husband for Father's Day? What does he give and teach your kids that makes you smile?

©iStockphoto.com/AnthonyRosenberg  

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-65):
TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:13 PM
My husband teaches my kids how to love
TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM
He teaches his son about power tools and saws and building things with wood
TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:14 PM
He's teaching the girls how a man should treat them
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I love your gift :).  My husband is a wonderful husband and father.  He guides each of our children, our son to grow up to a life in Christ, and a leader for his family, and our daughters to a life in Christ and to understand how they should be treated.  He teaches them many skills and independence as well!

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I gave my DH a card and my DS gave him a card that he made in school. I wanted to give him more, but I didn't get a chance to go shopping and then he vetoed the idea, because we are going on a car trip tomorrow and he wanted to make sure that we have enough money for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)