Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Kids and Their Schedules: How much is too much?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 45 Replies

My kiddo wakes up every morning and wants to discuss what is happening that day. She likes the rundown, the itinerary...and, I have to say, if not that much stuff is planned, she's a little disappointed. She loves a schedule, loves having lots of stuff to do. She is a curious one and wants to explore everything she can...but that doesn't mean doing it all is all good for her.

It's a hot topic, one that I think almost every parent struggles with...I've had many "momversations" at the playground or while sipping coffee, and I'd say 73% covered kids and their schedules. How their days are filled. The weekly rundown. If and when it becomes too much. There are kids I know that have an extracurricular activity almost every day: ballet on Monday, soccer on Tuesdays, piano on Wednesdays, gymnastics on Thursdays...and don't forget about baseball on Saturday and chess tournaments on Sundays. Add in homework and, well, our kids are juggling as much as we are.

Sure, our kids may enjoy all of those activities, but it could be, and, often is, too much for them. I get it, though. I get caught up in it too. I hear of Sally, who has tap and sewing and Mandarin, and I think, "Oh, gosh, should we sign Kiddo up for more?" You see kids on sports teams and also taking violin and martial arts and ponder what else we should expose Kiddo to...and the kicker is, she would love it, I'm sure, but there is a price to pay -- literally and figuratively.

Does come down to the fear of missing out, the fear we aren't doing enough for our kids to experience and try things? Yeah, probably. Taps into that worry/guilt/pressure thought-behemouth that wonders if I'm doing right by her, giving her everything I can...but sometimes, the best thing I can give Kiddo is the act of doing nothing.

Okay, who loves Sasha? I know, she's awesome, right? So, what are your thoughts -- are your kids overscheduled? How many activities are your kids in each week? How do you maintain balance?

©iStockphoto.com/ MarekUliasz                

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:30 AM

I don't think mine are. Actually, oldest had asked to do choir on top of music and karate this year and I said no, but he wants to do it next year, so I'll let him. I was worried about overscheduling, but I think he'll be ok since it's only 1 day a week.

TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I attempt to overschedule things, even on vacation. My husband puts his foot down and says the kids aren't going to enjoy the experiences if the fly so fast it's all a blur. 

Our girls are taking dance classes this summer, and I am going to lobby for this fall, but I just don't know if it will carry through.  We'll have to see how this summer goes, because an extracurricular activity 50 miles away once a week is something I will really have to fight for!

HamBergerMama
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:32 AM
One extra curricular per kid. It's far more valuable to have quality family time.

Some thins like swimming lesson and music I consider outside that "rule"
ceciliam
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:42 AM

My son does piano and one sport. Right now, it's wrestling. I make it a point to not over schedule.

brittany208
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:46 AM

i think it really depends on the family--their energy levels, their ability to get places, their budget...

timon95
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM

i don't think my kids are overscheduled. ds bowls twice a week and participates in the ocassional tournament. dd dances 4 days a week. both have AWANA  one day a week

Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Mine are too little for too many activities. I do want Ds to take swimming lessons in the fall and possibly dance lessons if he is old enough
othermom
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM

We keep our schedual pretty open usually. We are trying  to find a few things for this summer for the kids though

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:27 AM

For the summer, I think they are under-scheduled.  We haven't done enough.  During school my son is in Cub Scouts but nothing else, so it's not too much, for me or him.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM

We have to find some things for summer too!

Quoting othermom:

We keep our schedual pretty open usually. We are trying  to find a few things for this summer for the kids though

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)