Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Kids and Their Schedules: How much is too much?

Posted by   + Show Post

My kiddo wakes up every morning and wants to discuss what is happening that day. She likes the rundown, the itinerary...and, I have to say, if not that much stuff is planned, she's a little disappointed. She loves a schedule, loves having lots of stuff to do. She is a curious one and wants to explore everything she can...but that doesn't mean doing it all is all good for her.

It's a hot topic, one that I think almost every parent struggles with...I've had many "momversations" at the playground or while sipping coffee, and I'd say 73% covered kids and their schedules. How their days are filled. The weekly rundown. If and when it becomes too much. There are kids I know that have an extracurricular activity almost every day: ballet on Monday, soccer on Tuesdays, piano on Wednesdays, gymnastics on Thursdays...and don't forget about baseball on Saturday and chess tournaments on Sundays. Add in homework and, well, our kids are juggling as much as we are.

Sure, our kids may enjoy all of those activities, but it could be, and, often is, too much for them. I get it, though. I get caught up in it too. I hear of Sally, who has tap and sewing and Mandarin, and I think, "Oh, gosh, should we sign Kiddo up for more?" You see kids on sports teams and also taking violin and martial arts and ponder what else we should expose Kiddo to...and the kicker is, she would love it, I'm sure, but there is a price to pay -- literally and figuratively.

Does come down to the fear of missing out, the fear we aren't doing enough for our kids to experience and try things? Yeah, probably. Taps into that worry/guilt/pressure thought-behemouth that wonders if I'm doing right by her, giving her everything I can...but sometimes, the best thing I can give Kiddo is the act of doing nothing.

Okay, who loves Sasha? I know, she's awesome, right? So, what are your thoughts -- are your kids overscheduled? How many activities are your kids in each week? How do you maintain balance?

©iStockphoto.com/ MarekUliasz                

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
RobynS
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM

DS is in scouts, but no sports except that he's going to try tennis this summer. Still, it seems like we're always running! Crazy!!

aneela
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

we are never overscheduled

Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM

not anymore. sometimes during baseball season I feel like were over scheduled. especially when my son does after school activities at school.

.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM

my kids are probably underscheduled. lol

SpareMe
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Mine are not currently partaking in extra cirriculars by choice. When discussing this fall's agenda when back to school so I know what to budget in the coming months, it doesn't look like it's going to be too bad. Both have decided they only want to do one sport each with the youngest inquiring about weekend acting or dance. Totally doable!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN