Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are You Overscheduling Your Kids?

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM
  • 54 Replies

Are your kids taking on too much? How much does putting kids in every sport and every extra class and activity really contribute to creating well-rounded individuals, and how much does it just stress out the kids (and the parents)?

Sasha Brown-Worsham, Editor at The Stir and mom of two, is here to share her story.

Are You Overscheduling Your Kids?

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

No we are not, we make sure that the kids have lots of down time. We are trying to find a few things for them to do for the summer.

chattycassie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:50 AM

My kids are not involved in any extra activities at this time. Most times they get involved through school. This summer I just can't afford the fees. :(

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM

not me. I have a 3 week old who isnt on ANY kind of schedule at all... z.zzzzzzz..... sorry, fell asleep there for a minute from sleep deprivation.

and a 4yo who gets bored bc I'm constantly feeding baby, so he just goes outside and plays in the backyard all day. my kids need MORE of a schedule.

johnny4ever
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

No we dont

Ambear72
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I dont think I am doing enough for my kids, we have them in football and cheer.  I would love to put them in more but with cheer and football its just to expensive.

amyjane22
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:08 PM

No, we only let him choose one activity at a time.  I know some parents may think that's ridiculous, but our schedule is busy and we need to have family time and one on one time with him, which is so important.

TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Nope. I can't afford that many activities for 4 kids nor can I handle doing all.the running around for all of them while Hubby works a lot
TheBabyFactory4
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Sometimes i feel that way too. They just finished tball and softball and that was pretty expensive for us. Its not just the fees but gas running around to games and practice. I just signed up my 9yo who didn't play softball for art camp in July. That was $125. Plus driving everyday 30mins away. And plan on putting my ds in football this year. He's finally old enough and put my girls back in cheer. They did it 2 yrs in a row a few yrs ago. But now that ds will play they can cheer for his team. My 9yo wants gymnastics but that's expensive

Quoting Ambear72:

I dont think I am doing enough for my kids, we have them in football and cheer.  I would love to put them in more but with cheer and football its just to expensive.

Ambear72
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I can only afford one sport, and the kids chose to do Football and cheer.  My DS is 9 and my twin DDs are 7.  Its $730 just to sign them up, that isnt for the gas, food ect to get to the games, and the other stuff the kids want.  When we first moved here it was $25 pp to play soccer and $35 for baseball.  Now its $65 and $85.  I dont even remember what is is pp for football and cheer.

Quoting TheBabyFactory4:

Sometimes i feel that way too. They just finished tball and softball and that was pretty expensive for us. Its not just the fees but gas running around to games and practice. I just signed up my 9yo who didn't play softball for art camp in July. That was $125. Plus driving everyday 30mins away. And plan on putting my ds in football this year. He's finally old enough and put my girls back in cheer. They did it 2 yrs in a row a few yrs ago. But now that ds will play they can cheer for his team. My 9yo wants gymnastics but that's expensive

Quoting Ambear72:

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)