Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Don't judge a book by it's cover

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

I have eight piercings in one ear -- none in the other -- and a tongue ring. (I also have a couple of tattoos, but they are not visible.) Right away, people put me in the "freak" category. What they do not know is that I am the mother of a wonderful 1 year old boy, I am married, my husband has no tattoos and we are law abiding citizens.

I am currently job hunting, and when I am on interviews, everything goes great until they notice my tongue ring. Then the interviewer's attitude changes completely.

I wish employers would take the time to get to know people before they judge them. --

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katvixenstar
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM

i agree, our company handbook is from 1995, and it's got stuff in there about no fingernail polish (except "neutral colors") no piercings, and i can't even remember what else. but we have people working who have facial piercings, tattoos. even the supervisor thinks it's silly. 

don't give up tho, you'll find someone who doesn't care about your piercings when they interview you!!

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Very true

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Tattoos/piercings dont bother me. I had a boyfriend who was covered in both... and we taught sunday school together... so...

But I do think that people need to take future jobs into consideration when they do that kind of stuff to their bodies. Just like you wouldn't show up to a job interview in ripped jeans and a stained t-shirt. It's fine for everyday, and it doesnt make you a bad person, but it doesnt look very professional.

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Aint that the truth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 5:36 AM

I agree and I'm sorry you're having trouble with this :(

Janet
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM

You should take it out for a job interview.

Truelove77
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Iam a tattoo mom and I know alot of people who think having tattoos is gross oh well everyone is different if we were all the same oh how boring life would be :) I like bein different and could really careless what others think :)

AlannaMaria
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Yea, it's BS! I had a Monroe piercing and I had to take it put for a job and it was a tiny speck.
TigerofMu
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:50 AM
That would be nice, but unfortunately, that's a first impression thing.
Firenygirl180
by Gold Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I made sure all my tattoos could be easily covered. Also i always put a clear tongue ring in for interviews, but i took that out when i found out i was pregnant with my now 2 year old.

I understand the fact that you(general) have tattoos and piercings because you want them/they mean something to you. But they do effect a first impression. Just like if someone showed up for an interview in ripped jeans and a dirty shirt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN