Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Are Guys Struggling?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

This was an interesting video, huh? I'd been following this whole trend for a while, actually. I even wrote about it last year for Adweek, the state of the man today. Granted, it was from an advertising point of view, but the underlying theme was the same...the role of the man is changing.

No longer is he merely the breadwinner, no longer is he just the hunter-gatherer. And not only is the role of men changing, so is the role of women, who are gaining in higher positions in the work force (though still not equal pay, ahem). Roles at home are melding, mixing, and becoming much more gray than black and white -- or blue and pink.

So, how are men dealing with this, this "decline" so to speak? Not so well, I think, but can you blame them? It's change, it's wonkoing out the labels and comparisons we all use in our minds to make sure we measure up, it's about expectations and falling short of them, it's about really truly figuring out who you are...can we blame guys for kind of dreaking out?

The kicker here is that men may be better for it, this moment of decline, this shift -- they may have more opportunity to find their passion, a different kind of strength and that internal drive. Maybe it will come from more time with their kids than their grandfathers were used to. Maybe it will come from following a passion rather than just a planned idea of what should be done as a career. Who knows...

So, what is your take on this, ladies? Are men in decline? Has your husband or other men in your life struggled with this shift in society? How have they dealt with it?

©iStockphoto.com/ boygovideo                  

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Dh hasn't struggled at all. His 'place in society' is exactly what he expected it to be when he was a teen.

Rushn311
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I grew up as seeing the man as the breadwinner and my hubby is for us. We've talked about if I had the top paying job, that he'd stay home and he said, "hell yes I would."

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I think DH is doing great with his role--being expected to work and help out at home. Especially since baby #2, he's been so very helpful around here. I think me wanting to work is harder on him though. Just because he feels like he should make enough for us to live on all by himself (and he does), but I actually like getting out of the house and contributing some too.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I don't think men are on the decline.  They will always find things that make them feel like men.  My husband is the bread winner as I am a stay at home mom, but even when he lived in the middle east, he worked with women in the same degree as himself and it didn't make him feel less than a man to do so.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

My DH has not struggled with this at all

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I feel the same way

Quoting sukainah:

I don't think men are on the decline.  They will always find things that make them feel like men.  My husband is the bread winner as I am a stay at home mom, but even when he lived in the middle east, he worked with women in the same degree as himself and it didn't make him feel less than a man to do so.

Group Mod

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

In my area it seems like most of the Mom's are SAHMs and the Dads are the breadwinners. 

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:36 AM

My husband has not struggled with it.  He is working and I stay home with the kids but if my job had made more money it would have been the other way around.

othermom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM

None of the men I know are struggling at all.

goddess99
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

My dh doesn't struggle. I'm a sahm, and he works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)