Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What Do You Do When You Need a Paddle?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 68 Replies

You may wonder why I have an oar as the photo for this post...well, I'm channeling that saying: up a creek without a paddle. That's what it can feel like when you are grooving along Life, and all of a sudden, you get thrown, you have to turn fast, and then shift gears again...and you find yourself in a direction you never thought you'd be...with a flat tire.

Curveballs, whammies, sassafrassaknackers (yeah, I made that up). Whatever you call it, situations like this happen. As I say to my kiddo all of the time, there are just some things beyond our control. What we do after it happens, that, friends, we can control.

I surf around the Internet a lot as a writer and stumble on many bits of wisdom that I tuck away. I found this pretty cool site -- Tiny Buddha, which has some neato tidbits and rather sage advice on how to handle this thing called Life. One of the posts that caught my eye was a step-by-step plan to deal with life's curveballs, the challenges that may rise up and bite you in the proverbial tush. The steps are: accept and let go, observe and decide, face your fears and take action, and practice gratitude.

I know. I know. You are thinking, "Gratitude? Say what??

Yes, be thankful. Because really, in these moments, these curveball, unexpected, not-what-you-had-planned moments are perhaps when you learn the most and grow the most. Go figure, right?

So, back to the oar thing. Sometimes, when we are up a creek without a paddle, when these curveballs are tossed into the mix, we realize we have an oar. It may not look like an oar, or maybe it was an oar you didn't know you had. You realize you are stronger than you thought or that leaving the job you hated made room for another opportunity to come along or that your kid breaking his leg on the soccer field made extra time for him to discover his love of reading or playing the chess together.

Who knows, but when you get that curveball thrown at you, don't duck. Catch it -- and see where you can toss it next.

Has Life thrown you some curveballs? How do you deal with it? Share your best "how to make an oar out of nothing" bit of wisdom!

©iStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz     

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Right now.I have been through a lot in the past year.I almost lost my dh to renal failure,lost a cafemom friend to suicide and lost my Mom. Honestly not doing so well. We are also losing our home.Sale date is now july 30th. I have no idea how I even get up in the morning

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Generally, I find that the main source of paddles is other people... 

Ask for help, tell your story, lean on friends and family...

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Because you have vitally important work... you have beautiful children, and you're still alive in this beautiful world...

Quoting momofsixangels:

Right now.I have been through a lot in the past year.I almost lost my dh to renal failure,lost a cafemom friend to suicide and lost my Mom. Honestly not doing so well. We are also losing our home.Sale date is now july 30th. I have no idea how I even get up in the morning

Barabell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Hugs.

Quoting momofsixangels:

Barabell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM
From 2005 until just the past few months have been extremely stressful. I especially lean on my husband and mom for support.
EthansMomma2010
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Honestly this is really good advice. But surprise surprise...its biblical. Of course its good advice. :) last night I had a good cry and for the first time in a year and a half I allowed myself to question God just a little bit. It was the release I needed. Now I'm ready to move forward with the rest of the advice. :) and I'm definitely grateful for the opportunity to grow and praise God through each storm.
EthansMomma2010
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM
So true but so hard

Quoting LindaClement:

Generally, I find that the main source of paddles is other people... 

Ask for help, tell your story, lean on friends and family...

chattycassie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM

We have been struggling since my s/o lost his full time job and went to part time. Our "paddle" or light at the end of the tunnel is we found out how much he loves being home and with the girls. He is now back to work but only part time to make sure we have someone home with the kids ALL the time. This was our blessing in disguise.

chattycassie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Hugs mommas. There is a light at the end of this tunnel for you. You may not see it now but it's there. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Quoting momofsixangels:

aidensmomma508
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Well I heard a good saying yesterday that I've heard many times

life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN