Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What Do You Do When You Need a Paddle?

Posted by   + Show Post

You may wonder why I have an oar as the photo for this post...well, I'm channeling that saying: up a creek without a paddle. That's what it can feel like when you are grooving along Life, and all of a sudden, you get thrown, you have to turn fast, and then shift gears again...and you find yourself in a direction you never thought you'd be...with a flat tire.

Curveballs, whammies, sassafrassaknackers (yeah, I made that up). Whatever you call it, situations like this happen. As I say to my kiddo all of the time, there are just some things beyond our control. What we do after it happens, that, friends, we can control.

I surf around the Internet a lot as a writer and stumble on many bits of wisdom that I tuck away. I found this pretty cool site -- Tiny Buddha, which has some neato tidbits and rather sage advice on how to handle this thing called Life. One of the posts that caught my eye was a step-by-step plan to deal with life's curveballs, the challenges that may rise up and bite you in the proverbial tush. The steps are: accept and let go, observe and decide, face your fears and take action, and practice gratitude.

I know. I know. You are thinking, "Gratitude? Say what??

Yes, be thankful. Because really, in these moments, these curveball, unexpected, not-what-you-had-planned moments are perhaps when you learn the most and grow the most. Go figure, right?

So, back to the oar thing. Sometimes, when we are up a creek without a paddle, when these curveballs are tossed into the mix, we realize we have an oar. It may not look like an oar, or maybe it was an oar you didn't know you had. You realize you are stronger than you thought or that leaving the job you hated made room for another opportunity to come along or that your kid breaking his leg on the soccer field made extra time for him to discover his love of reading or playing the chess together.

Who knows, but when you get that curveball thrown at you, don't duck. Catch it -- and see where you can toss it next.

Has Life thrown you some curveballs? How do you deal with it? Share your best "how to make an oar out of nothing" bit of wisdom!

©iStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz     

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (61-68):
Rushn311
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I just deal with it and try to make the best out of the cards I've been dealt. I've had a rough life, and I am still smilling.

pittymama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM

we've grown and learned the most in the last year. we've gone through so much and we've had a lot of family "paddle" help. we're growing and maturing from all of it!

Bob192
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:26 AM

I get curve balls all the time.  Most of the time I try to do the best I can.

.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:16 AM

so sorry to hear you are going through all this. I hope things start to look up soon for you :(

Quoting momofsixangels:

Right now.I have been through a lot in the past year.I almost lost my dh to renal failure,lost a cafemom friend to suicide and lost my Mom. Honestly not doing so well. We are also losing our home.Sale date is now july 30th. I have no idea how I even get up in the morning

.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 2:18 AM

just have to remember to look at the bigger picture. When we are in the here and now, little things seem like big things, or we don't realize that those big things could lead us to better things. It's hard to keep going day after day but we do it for our kids, for our family.

Vertical15
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

This, exactly!

Quoting LindaClement:

Generally, I find that the main source of paddles is other people... 

Ask for help, tell your story, lean on friends and family...

Heather2001
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Gratitude is so important.

SlepinBeautyMom
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM

i honestly just straighten my shoulders and plow through it as best as i can. and always look for a posititve! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN