Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

The Science of Smell

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

Kiddo went on a field trip to the American Museum of Natural History with her class last Spring, and they went to Our Global Kitchen exhibit and did some cool experiments with the scientists there. One of them was they were given two jelly beans. They were instructed to eat one, which they did (with lots of yums from the group). Then they were instructed to eat the second one while holding their noses. Not as many yums this time, as they all said the jelly beans didn't really taste like anything.

Those kids just learned how powerful the sense of smell can be. It's one we may not key into as sososo important as it really truly is --  how it impacts not just our tastebuds, but also our choice in mates. Smell is huge, folks. Studies have shown women set off certain odors when they are ovulating, and docs know those pheromones we all exude attract or repel possible love hookups.

Not only that, they've now connected smell to memory, that the olfactory bulb is tied to the limbic system, which controls recognition and memory and emotion. In other words, you know how whenever you smell Irish Spring soap, you think of your dad, or when you smell pine trees, you feel that feeling of Christmas morning? Yup, there is science to back up that occurrence, there is a whole memory-nose connection.

So...it makes sense when we smell that "husband smell" (good or bad), we get filled with good feelings, we feel more attracted to him, more connected.

What does your husband smell like? Do you have a favorite item/scent that always reminds you of someone?

©iStockphoto.com/ Charles SchugPhrotpgraphy

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband usually just smells clean. 

I don't associate smells with people very much... except my sil who wears WAY too much perfume...

.Angelica.
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this

it's not a favorite smell, but the awful smell of a fresh paved road reminds me of my dad. LOL he does paving for work.

KymberleeAnn
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:41 AM

My husband has a clean fruity smell.

I have this cute dress that smells sweet like my mother.

TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:57 AM

My husband loves ANYTHING I wear! He always tells me how good I smell

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM

My SO usually smells like the soap he uses.

sukainah
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM

My DH has a nice cologne but I forget the name of it.

brittany208
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM

my DH either smells like cigarettes (gag) or deodorant, depending on what time of day it is

Barabell
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:27 PM

My husband usually smells like his deodorant. I can't remember the brand name right now.

katvixenstar
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:37 PM

i cant really describe what my SO smells like, but it's good :)

the smell of lilacs always remind me of when my grandma was still living. i love lilacs.

pittymama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:25 PM

my husband always smells great. he has a plethora of different amazing colognes.

burberry is the only scent that reminds me of someone, my ex before getting married, because nobody else i knew wore anything like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement