Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Communicating Beyond "That"

Posted by   + Show Post

Missions, purpose, goals. Andrew and Chuck were both pretty adamant about how our guys need our support when they go out and tackle said goals.  But, um, what if you aren't exactly sure what that mission is? Even Andrew said, he's switched it up at times.

He's allowed, of course, to change it up. We are all allowed to do that with our focus of life. Sure the underlying element of his life is steady, but so now he's pumped about a soccer team instead of a business thing. All well and good, but, as with everything, it comes back to something we've chatted about here A LOT (yes, I capitalized it, bolded it and added italics because it deserves it): communication. It's all well and good if your man has a mission and he's laser-beam-focused on it, but if you don't know what it is, how can you go about being his number one supporter?

So, we need them to let us know, clue us in, give us a head's up on not only what he's challenged himself with but also how best to support him (give him extra time, listen to his ideas, offer your own or stay silent).  

And now it is time for another generalization (we are full of those this week, eh?): men aren't the best communicators. Although, truth be told, we aren't either at times. Men and women definitely come to the Communication Table from different ends, carrying different chairs, but when we are at the table, we need to talk, really talk.

How do you know what your guy needs support with? Does he let you know? Do you have to guess?

©iStockphoto.com/ JoePotato                       

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-49):
sanj1213
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I think my husband looks for another point of view when he comes home and talks about work. 

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I always have to guess. He actually likes to be able to talk about the projects he's working on and get feedback.  He likes me to just listen to his work stories, which I don't mind doing. I think he also likes another point of view sometimes. 

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Dh and I communicate well so I usually know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:49 PM

He is pretty good at letting me know. Right now the focus is his business

alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Quoting mrswillie:

Dh and I communicate well so I usually know.

Same here. Mine is usually pretty forward 

Miranda1127
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

IDK...I guess we communicate it. Although it's more of ...I just know b/c I know him kinda things.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

My SO is a beta and needs me to direct him. It is some what annoying but at least I know what it is he needs support with. If I didn't give him a gentle nudge (kick in the ass) he would probably still be idling aimlessly through life. But when he does come up with a GOOD idea on his own I give him my support.

Vertical15
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:01 PM

My husband talks to me about whats stressing him out.  Sometimes hes quiet but if I ask he talks.

SlightlyPerfect
5 nominations, and my answer is still no.
Yesterday at 9:03 AM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I just wonder why people who are together and want to build a future don't work this communication stuff out first in their early years so they won't have to deal with barriers in the future.

Kmakksmom
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM

We communicate very well.  I know when he needs me, and he knows when I need him for support.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)