Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do we limit our kids’ screentime?

Posted by   + Show Post

Chuck says the way to keep your kid's nose away from the screen is to limit the time to 1 hour per day.

How do we limit our kids’ screentime?

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
Rushn311
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I tell her when I think she's had enough. Usually for an hour or two depending on what it is.

KaylaMillar
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:52 PM

we usually allow 30 mintues at a time. 

GwenMB
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My boys don't have any handheld electronics, so no issue there.  My oldest has just figured out how to find videos he likes to watch on DH's computer, but that hasn't been an issue yet.  We will limit their computer time as they get more proficient & use it more.  They don't watch movies all that often.

elasmimi
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:01 AM

We are really struggling with this issue, look forward to seeing how other families deal with it.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Times definitely are changing.  Much different then when I was a kid.

Quoting elasmimi:

We are really struggling with this issue, look forward to seeing how other families deal with it.

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I think of this from a couple of angles...

1. is it a problem or a reality?

Problems can be solved, realities need to be accepted.

2. is it really a problem?

When I was a kid, I remember people being concerned about tv, but even about books. Kids 'should be' out playing... but some kids have never been like that.

3. what's competing with the screens?

Is the interaction in the house orders for chores and manners at the table and homework time and stop bothering me? Or, is it more come help decide what's for dinner, how was your day, where would you like to explore this weekend, what question did you think of today that you didn't find an answer to yet, we need to get groceries come along and see what's new in the produce section, is there an update on those friends of yours, here's a fun thing I found at the store do you want to see what it does, I'd like to play a game with you would you like to play...? 

What else there is to choose from matters to how often the automatic reset will be 'turn on, tune out.'

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM
We just dont turn the tv on
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wife_and_mommy
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM
pssh my kid knows he can't play during the week and only on the weekends IF he does well and doesn't get in trouble in school that week
slw123
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM

We use an oven timer,

bufferwheat
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Advise them that for every hour on the computer, I have 1/2 hour of chores that need to be done. Are you ready to start now?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN