Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How should stepparents discipline their stepkids?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 58 Replies

Andrew offers some advice on the best way to walk the line between Dad and Stepdad.

How should stepparents discipline their stepkids?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I feel discipline should be just like it is with their biological child. Make sure the step child knows you will be treating and reacting the same way you would with your other children. =)

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I agree on being fair. I think that it's a tough job being a step parent, especially if the child knows how to play the biological parent against the step parent.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:38 PM

The way the parent and stepparent agreed.

jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:08 PM

:-) I agree whole heartily about that ............... you are a parental figure in taking care of them they got it GOOD! they should respect you and you respect them as well.

Bob192
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I think it is a good idea to talk with the biological parent and decide together how to discipline the child.

aneela
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

if you end up being the care provider 99% of the time...then you should also have the right to deal with them the same way you deal with your own kids...

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Step children and children should be treated exactly the same. If not there will be animosity and resentment in the home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:17 PM
They should discipline their step kids like they would discipline their kids.
goddess99
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM

My dh is my dd's stepdad and he whole heartily views her as his daughter. So he disciplines like I do. There really isn't a difference. However if things really go south with my dd, I take over and law down the law.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I think a lot of it depends on the individual situation.  How long has the step-parent been around?  Is there another parent in the picture that has shared time?  What age were the children when they met the step parent?  Etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)