Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What my daughter has taught me (again)

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 48 Replies
2 moms liked this

Every other mommy blog post is about how this parenting gig is tough, amazing, insane, life-altering, tiring, frustrating, fantastic all at the same time. It's true. No one ever told us this would be the way it is because, well, it's rather tough to describe (impossible really).

The most fascinating aspect of parenting for me? I admit I like the boost I get in my own creative abilities when she praises my origami skills (who knew I had those, eh?), and the lift I get when I remember the name of a cat we haven't seen in probably seven months as she was "hiding" under her little bedroom table ("Why, hello, Justinabinamina, so nice to see you again!").

Beyond the superpowers I've discovered I possess (they are super, no?), I'm always amazed at what I learn from Kiddo. Not that she can explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity to me, but she teaches more on a daily basis about living than anyone. Period. I know, It's another one of those "I've heard/read/chatted about this before" revelations from a parent who writes about parenting, but, there it is (again).

The main thing I've learned? To be in the moment. She makes me stop the other 53 things I'm doing and do that one thing we are in the middle of right then. It goes beyond that too...for as much as we are looking ahead to what is to come, I want her to stay the age she is at that very moment, to not grow up too quickly.

Yes, I know, I'm being totally cliché once again -- this is absolutely no surprise or new mommy revelation, but perhaps there are certain life lessons kids are destined to make us old folks realize...and keep realizing as we old people tend to forget it rather easily. Like that life is short. Just thinking about how fleeting moments, days, years are -- it seems like yesterday Kiddo was saying her first words and now she's reading Nate the Great books. It's crazypants...though I know listening to Kiddo's sage advice to stay in the moment won't make time stop, it sure does make it feel a wee bit longer. 

What is the thing your kids teach you over and over again?

©iStockphoto.com/ annedala

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Gold Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Be in the moment is a good life lesson!

I don't remember anything being recurrent... just lots of little things along the way...

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:18 AM
3 moms liked this

That when they want your attention, you can get off the computer or phone and give it to them because one day they will stop asking and you will have missed that opportunity to be with them.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM
" NO" is only a word to be taken seriously when HE says it ! Hah!
TheJerseyGirl
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

To not take things so seriously...they are so carefree and it's amazing what that does to your soul

Miranda1127
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM

lol...I totally get the super creative mom thing. DD certainly does make me feel super creative.

Miranda1127
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I guess for me, dd has taught me to take interest in learning new things (again).

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids have taught me that life is too short to take everything so seriously.  HAVE FUN!

Miranda1127
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

so true

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

To not take things so seriously...they are so carefree and it's amazing what that does to your soul

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Being in the moment!

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

to make the little things count

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)