Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Am I obligated?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

When I had my first child, my sister bought me a cradle swing that retails for about $180. I have used it for both my children and have kept it in excellent condition. My youngest is nearing the recommended weight limit for the swing, so I'm considering selling it, as I do with all the items my children outgrow. I should get about $75 for it.

I'm a stay-at-home mom and my husband works two jobs. We live on a tight budget. I'd like to use the money I get for the swing for birthday and Christmas gifts for the kids.

My sister's husband's niece, is having a baby boy in two months. I'm not close to the neice and see her only every other year. I plan on giving her lots of the baby clothes, toys and equipment I have. I could have sold them, but chose to give them to Bree. I don't plan on giving her the swing.

My sister is now reminding me that she and her husband gave me the swing and they would like me to pass it along to the neice. Am I obligated to give what was a gift to me and my children? There were no stipulations when I received it. How do I handle this? 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Ugh, someone did that to me on a stroller/carseat.  I sold it to the highest bidder.  I told her that all baby stuff is my kids and that the money goes into their bank accts, which it does.  It's not MINE to give away! :->

othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM

It was a gift and you can do what you want with it. You are giving the niece other stuff so I wouldn't worry about it

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM

if it was bought new for you as a gift, it is yours to do with as you please. if it  was hers she let you borrow, then youd be obligated.

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree about the borrowing vs giving BUT I'm curious why you are okay with giving *so much* that you could have sold but don't feel the same about the swing... to "save face" or keep the peace, really you could give just the swing and sell everything else for $75... You could let her borrow and then IF you get it back, sell it... sometimes family and relationships are more important, kwim?

momofnatalie
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 3:48 PM
I would tell her that it was a gift so you already had plans for it. Tell her that you are giving her lots of other things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

It was given to you as a gift so what you do with it afterwards is up to you.

katvixenstar
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Agree

Quoting MistressMinerva:

It was given to you as a gift so what you do with it afterwards is up to you.

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

i would give the swing to the neice if thats what she requested since it was a gift. maybe sell some of the toys/equipment/clothes instead?

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Id sell it its yours to do with what you will
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

this

Quoting mnmo3bb:

I agree about the borrowing vs giving BUT I'm curious why you are okay with giving *so much* that you could have sold but don't feel the same about the swing... to "save face" or keep the peace, really you could give just the swing and sell everything else for $75... You could let her borrow and then IF you get it back, sell it... sometimes family and relationships are more important, kwim?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)