Slow Cooker Shredded Turkey Gyros from the Betty Crocker site!
- tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- cloves garlic, finely chopped
- teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2
- teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- teaspoon red pepper sauce
- 1 1/2
- lb turkey thighs, skin removed
- medium red onion, halved, sliced (1 cup)
- cup plain yogurt
- teaspoon dried dill weed
- cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 1 teaspoon)
- small cucumber, unpeeled, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- pita fold breads (without pocket)
- cup chopped tomatoes
- 1Spray 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix butter, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, the oregano and pepper sauce. Rub mixture onto turkey thighs.
- 2Place onion in slow cooker; top with turkey thighs. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 9 hours or until turkey pulls apart easily with fork. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together the yogurt, dill, garlic, cucumber and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 3Remove turkey from slow cooker; remove from bones. Shred turkey; stir into mixture remaining in slow cooker. Using slotted spoon, divide meat and onion mixture among 6 pita folds. Top with yogurt sauce; pass additional sauce at table.
To save even more money on this budget-conscious recipe, substitute hamburger buns, usually value priced, for the pita folds.
To save calories, use non-fat yogurt.
Top with fresh tomatoes from your garden.
- PREP TIME 20 Min
- TOTAL TIME 9 Hr 20 Min
- SERVINGS 6