Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How picky are your kids?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies

Yes, the picture above shows broccoli, a much-maligned veggie. One that often gets a bad rap, perhaps not as much as Brussel sprouts, but there are quite a few folks and a lot of kids that just don't like the green mini trees. I am lucky that my kid loves broccoli...however my kid would still fall into the category of a picky eater. Not the pickiest eater I've seen in the under-10 set, but, yeah, she's kind of picky. She basically likes her chicken nuggets, her pizza, her mac-n-cheese, the usual kid fare. Granted, she also loves edamame and California rolls and most pasta, but a turkey sandwich? Fuggedaboutit. She won't even do string cheese.

Attempting to get her to have a bite of a new food is tough at best, and in everything I've read, I just need to keep putting new foods in front of her and encouraging her to try at least two bites. Another way: remember you aren't running a restaurant. Make one dinner, one meal for the family, not a specific meal for one picky kiddo and a different meal for another. That totally negates their chance to learn to like a new food. The thing is, have a back-up option they will eat (could be even a bowl of cereal or a salad or soup or pasta).

One great idea I ran across: retooling a new food with the help of the kids. Involving them, having them come up with ideas on how to make a new veggie yummy gives them control in the process...making them infinitely more likely to, well, like it. Maybe chopping it up into lasagna or chunking it into a pan with chicken and some sauce they like.

It's so frustrating, I know, but following some of these hints have worked....as has adding ketchup to everything.

How do you deal with your picky-eater kid? What will -- or won't -- they eat?

©iStockphoto.com/ fotogal

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM

More picky now then when they were younger :(

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Hehehe ours will eat any veggie they can dip in ranch dressing or cover with melted cheese., for the most part. ;)

Rushn311
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I will not make anything special for my kids unless it's something I just know they will not eat...my son won't eat chili so I make mac and cheese for him.

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM

DS is starting to be more opinionated about what he eats. he likes lots of things, but now that he is more aware of all the options (such as junk food) that exist in the world, he is constantly asking for junk instead of healthy foods. but i tell him (time and time again) that those arent his choice and we need to eat something healthy.

but he does like pretty much everything (except potatoes...). he likes asparagus, broccoli, peas, sugar snap peas, green beans, carrots, celery, corn, salad....

othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM

They can be picky about some things

sukainah
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My kids are so picky.  My oldest won't eat anything but salad at school.  But he likes lots of veggies and fruit at home.  My youngest is picky and I'm not sure how he is eating at pre-k yet.  I'll have to ask.  My kids won't eat anything that my DH and I are having. sigh

sukainah
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

This is what I need to do with my kids!

Quoting Rushn311:

I will not make anything special for my kids unless it's something I just know they will not eat...my son won't eat chili so I make mac and cheese for him.

lalasmama2007
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

My dd loves broccoli and Lima beans, but she won't touch corn, peas, etc.

foodie.at.heart
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

DS is a pretty picky eater.  He has texture issues when it comes to food.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM

My youngest son is pretty picky. He doesn't like very many veggies, he won't eat mashed potatoes or jo jos, but he likes certain fries, he won't eat meatballs or meatloaf, but he likes spaghetti. He prefers KFC chicken over my oven fried chicken.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)