Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is it too late to have a wedding?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 225 Replies

I am a happily married mom. 

DH and I eloped two years ago and had a baby a little over a year later.  At the time we eloped, we told DH's parents but not mine as they didn't like my soon to be husband.  We told them a few months later.

Now, we'd like to have a large family wedding to celebrate our happy life. 

My grandmother says that having a reception would be a good idea, but a "wedding" with a dress and attendants would be in very bad taste. I disagree -- but am I being selfish? I love my family, but I am going to have only one ceremony in my life.

I was thinking we could have it in the church and I could have bridesmaids and everything. I won't wear white -- my gown would be ivory. What do you think? 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
huntersmama711
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:54 AM
38 moms liked this
I see nothing wrong with it, but I would call it a renewal ceremony instead of a wedding
mom2theA-team
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:41 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't see anything wrong with it but I never attend those ceremonies. I have so little time I'm not wasting it on something you already did two years ago. 

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
5 moms liked this

dh and i eloped too.  i decided that when we have been married ten year (its coming up soon) then we will renew our vows.

TattedReader
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
this is exactly the predicament I'm facing right now. only, I was pregnant when we "eloped" and it will now be 4 years in November.
My whole family (and his) wants us to have a wedding, the whole thing. And I do want to get married in the church in a wedding dress, with a big reception and the likes, but I just don't know what people would think? We're thinking about doing a 5 year wedding vowel renewal but I don't see it as a renewal because these will be all new vows and in the church..I dunno, it's confusing
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
7 moms liked this
I agree with grandma
coupon_ash_back
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this
Wait a little longer and do a vow renewal at 5,10,15 years. If you are paying who cares, don't invite the naysayers.
chattycassie
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

It would not be a weeding but a renewal of your vows. That being said why spend the money now? I would have a kick ass reception. That is just me.

kgsharber
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM
8 moms liked this

I, personally, agree with your grandmother. It seems weird to have everyone gather to relive some fantasy you have. You are already married and had your chance. In my opinion you should have done it first time. If everyone didn't get along, well that's part of the stress of weddings and what makes them so awesome, but its too late and looks a little desperate.

frillyflower
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Why not? You're renewing your vows. Lots of people do it! I want to do it in 2014 for our ten year anniversary!

ambermario4ever
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it is fine. You would be doing a vow renewal. We are planning on doing one for our ten year anniversy.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)