Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Is this disrespectful to me?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

My DFs 13-year-old DD,  stays in our home one night a week and every other weekend. Last week, in the room she uses while she's here, she decided to hang a huge framed picture of her parents taken on their wedding day.(Her mother has since remarried.)

I suggested to DF that perhaps Cameron could put the picture up in her room at her mother's, since seeing it every day is annoying for me.

My fiance says I am out of line even to suggest such a thing -- that it's her room, and what's the big deal, anyway?

No doubt her mother wouldn't allow it being displayed in her home, as it would be disrespectful to her current husband. Well, I don't want it up in our home, because I consider it disrespectful to me.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RaniNY
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
She is either trying to annoy you, trying to guilt you, or missing a time in her life when things were the way she wanted. Id ignore it. Don't let her get your goat. I could put a picture of the Titanic on my wall, but that doesn't mean anyone will ever ride in that boat again. That baby is sunk for good, like her parent's marriage.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Honestly , I would take that as a  big f- you from the df s dd. It is very disrespectful to you for him to allow that. If she wanted to keep a small pic in her bed side dresser is one thing , but to put up a large WEDDING day photo is a whole new ballgame. I would sit and talk to you df , see if he will take YOUR feelings into account and compromise on the size and placement of the pic. If not , well at least you know now that you will always come last and will always be wrong when it comes to his DD.

Good Luck to you

brittany208
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I would ignore it. don't be the bad guy. she loves her parents. just stay out of her room

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Most of the time I would say just ignore it, but she is pushing limits on this one. If you and your df don't set clear boundaries now then you will just be fighting for any rights to your own home for as long as she lives there and probably even after she moves out. It sounds like your df is not hearing the hurt that this action has caused. I think you should look into a couple sessions of counselling, especially before you get married.

jbjb1024
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this
I would ignore it. Does she respect you other then that? If she doesn't, then I would say she is doing it to annoy u. If she does respect you I would say she just misses the way her family used to be. Maybe have a day out just the 2 of you
othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM

It is her room and just a picture. If otherwise she is nice to you and respectful I would not say anything

othermom
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Maybe take the picture down on the days she is not there and put it back up on the days she is there

mnmo3bb
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

It def sounds like a statement but really, I wouldn't take it personal though. I would try to talk to her and how she feels being in a split family and try to connect with her and make the best our the situation are ALL in.

chrissydan
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:03 PM
Id. Ignore it just a pic of the past she loves
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abifasc
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM
I wouldn't take it personally, those are her parents that she loves. I highly doubt she was doing it to spite you. Just stay out of her room.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)