Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

What parts of pregnancy did you find the grossest?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM
  • 136 Replies

Famous Model Says Pregnancy Is 'Gross' & She's Right

posted by Julie Ryan Evans 

pregnantThere are a lot of lovely adjectives that describe pregnancy -- magical, miraculous, and joyous, to name a few. However, there's another less-lovely one that people often don't want to mention that describes it pretty well too though -- gross. Sorry, but it's true, and model Lisa D'Amato for one isn't afraid to tell it like is.

In a recent interview with People, the former star of America's Next Top Model got real about how difficult her pregnancy has been. She says while she's fortunate that it's a healthy pregnancy, it hasn't been all fun and games. She's still suffering from morning sickness at eight months, and she just wants her body back.

I'm usually feeling pretty bad but always trying to stay positive. When people say I'm glowing, I tell them it's because someone needs to put on the AC. That whole 'pregnancy glow' thing is a joke! There is nothing pretty about pregnancy except creating a life -- other than that I think it's pretty gross.

I would disagree that there's nothing pretty about pregnancy, because I do think there are some beautiful moments -- like hearing the heartbeat, and feeling the kicks, and just the knowledge that you are growing another human being inside you. But she's right about the gross part too, and sometimes they trump the beauty.

From peeing on pregnancy tests to internal ultrasounds, constipation, morning sickness, hemorrhoids, and after-birth, you can't argue that pregnancy isn't gross. Most people just don't want to come out and say it. But women should know that it's not all picture perfect, so D'Amato's honesty is refreshing.

While some women want to paint a picture of a perfect pregnancy of which they enjoy every minute, I doubt that's the case for almost anyone. And it's okay to talk about the hard stuff, complain even. It doesn't mean you're any less excited about your baby or will be any less of a mother. And you might as well get used to embracing the gross while you're pregnant, because let me tell you, kids are even grosser.

What parts of pregnancy did you find the grossest?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sukainah
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmm, I didn't find a lot of gross things, but I guess having to pee all the time. lol

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:08 PM
3 moms liked this

I hated everything about being pregnant.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Morning sickness and gas. I had TERRIBLE gas while pregnant.

kellysparkles
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Losing my mucus plug was probably the grossest.

I couldn't help but feel weird about having a human inside me.  It was awesome and I loved feeling DD move and kick (I got tired of it after a while because that's all she did) but it was still weird to know that there was a person in me, sleeping, eating, pooping...living! lol

I'd do it all over again, though :)

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:17 PM
2 moms liked this

i dont see a thing gross about it but guess i'm just crunchy

conweis
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

The peeing on myself was probably the grossest

ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Morning sickness, I had the I want to die kind with #1. It sucked and nothing could ever be worse...not labor or kidney stones!

Truelove77
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I had the worst heartburn with both my girls :( But The grossest for me was when I lost my mucus plug gag!

Tammywhynot
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:39 PM
Last few weeks felt like the babys head was actuall between my legs.
abifasc
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM
5 moms liked this
Tmi I had tons of discharge the whole time with my 2nd. It was nasty and I never felt clean. My pregnancies are miserable, but I sure do love the outcome!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN