Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you know when it’s time to get married?

Posted by   + Show Post

Joanie got married when she was 18.

How could she be sure she was making the right decision and how it would affect her entire life?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Replies (21-30):
jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I agree :-)

Quoting 4kidz916:

It's hard to say.  Everyone has to realize that on their own.  

proudmommy690
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:57 AM
How long have yall been together? Im not married either, been with him over 3.5 years. I have been married, we divorced though.

Quoting Leelee1008:

When were financially ready. Which we are not.

kattcooper
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:00 PM
I like this reply.
This is pretty much how my life went too.
If I would have accepted the marriage proposal at 18, I would be no where near where I am in life today.
Sometimes you just know what's right and wrong.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I think that is such a hard question to answer.  Every couple is different. Age and life experienes have a lot to do with it too.

Love changes with age and experience. Meaning, when I was younger I had more of an infatuation kind of love in a few long term relationships. 

As I got older I realized that there is more to a marriage than just love.  I wanted someone who would be a good father, a good role model and a good companion.  Someone who has like thoughts on finances, cheating, religion, etc.

Had I married my long time boyfriend from high school, we would have divorced for sure. I wouldn't have had an amazing career prior to kids and I wouldn't have traveled or moved away from home.

I think you really have to be honest with yourself and your expectations.

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM
I lived with DH for 2 years before I agreed to marry him. We didnt actually get married until 7 years later..... by then we both knew what we were getting into. We have been married for 5 years on Halloween. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I was 31 he was 37, we just decided to get married. We talked about it, and then rushed it because my father was dying of cancer. We are still married five years later.

Wish2Be
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Quoting jessicasmom1:

We both agreed on what it was we wanted to for life married when I was 19 had 12 wonderful years with him  and our beautiful daughter before his passing never in a million years would I be single if it was not for this. 

Awww * hugs *
CafeMom Tickers
Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:34 PM

you can never be sure! gotta try

Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM

almost 15 years. we got together as kids. Did things backwards and when we were doing good, we got pushed back down. We planned a wedding, and then I lost a good job. He lost a job, we are still trying to recover from that. We are living with family right now and he and I both refuse to get married until were back on our own.

Quoting proudmommy690:

How long have yall been together? Im not married either, been with him over 3.5 years. I have been married, we divorced though.

Quoting Leelee1008:

When were financially ready. Which we are not.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM

It was just a feeling. We wanted our life to be together and we wanted a family. We just knew it was meant to be.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Accoding to her, you never know.  I knew when I couldn't stop thinking about him and wanted to be around him all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN