Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How do you know when it’s time to get married?

Posted by   + Show Post

Joanie got married when she was 18.

How could she be sure she was making the right decision and how it would affect her entire life?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Well said!!

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I think that is such a hard question to answer.  Every couple is different. Age and life experienes have a lot to do with it too.

Love changes with age and experience. Meaning, when I was younger I had more of an infatuation kind of love in a few long term relationships. 

As I got older I realized that there is more to a marriage than just love.  I wanted someone who would be a good father, a good role model and a good companion.  Someone who has like thoughts on finances, cheating, religion, etc.

Had I married my long time boyfriend from high school, we would have divorced for sure. I wouldn't have had an amazing career prior to kids and I wouldn't have traveled or moved away from home.

I think you really have to be honest with yourself and your expectations.

goddess99
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I think you have to follow your heart.

sanj1213
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I knew it was time when he didn't see any flaws in me. He loves me for who I am. 

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I very much disagree with Joanie.  I don't feel marriage is anything to just jump into and hope for the best.  I think this is why the divorce rate is so high.  While none of us can ever say 100% about anything, we can do plenty of things prior to marriage to make sure we have a solid relationship and foundation and that many questions are answered before marriage. 

.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

i think this answer will be different for everyone. I got married at 18, here we are, 7 1/2 years later and still going strong.

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I got married at 30. That's just when I was ready. I didn't meet hubby until I was 28

Charizma77
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:33 PM

We dated, fell in love and I knew he was the one I wanted to spend my life with. We were 20. No regrets.

Hannahsmommy816
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM
when you feel it's the right time!
sunshinepraying
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM

DH and I feel in love pretty fast. But we agreed to wait until we had been dating at least a year, and then if we still felt the same way about one another, then we'd get married. And a year of dating, we were still feeling the same about one another and he popped the question. 

I don't think anyone ever "knows" it's time to get married. It's just something you have to decide for yourselves if you think you're ready to make that commitment and you want to spend the rest of your life with that person.

LindaClement
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I got married at 19.

I was engaged at 16, and we set the date for the wedding as soon as dh got a shore posting so we could make plans more than 3 months ahead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN