Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Kids and Activities: How much is too much?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
  • 56 Replies

Parents are often overwhelmed when it comes to enrolling kids in extra-curricular activities and sports. We want them to be active, but how do we avoid wearing them out?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

DS isn't very sporty, but he is in scouts. Over the summer both kids had swim lessons and DS did tennis. It's not much compared to a lot of families, but even that seemed like a lot for us. And DD is still in pre-school, so sports for her isn't even an issue yet (prob tee-ball next summer).

I'm not sure it's healthy to be in everything and have the whole family running like mad all the time. I know we couldn't handle it.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM
They aren't involved in much as of now and that is their choice. they each have one favorite thing they like, so we try to focus on that.
dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I think that it is a good idea to limit the number of after school activies that the child is doing and if their studies are being affected, maye they are taking on too much.

othermom
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM
We limit activities. They get to do one at a time
Mom2jngnc
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I run crazy. 

5 kids: okay 4 the oldest one is in community college. 

DS #2: M-f something  for school soccer (practice, games etc); Monday Jr Firemen training (every other), but that get missed for Religious Ed; Tuesday Rec soccer practice (plays with Ds 3, but all kids practice same time & field); Wednesday Youth Group; Saturday soccer game. 

Ds #3: has a social calendar to be envied by some; Religious Ed on Monday; Soccer practice (rec with ds #2) on Tuesday; Youth Group on Wed; Soccer game on Saturday. He does a Thanksgiving 5K, and in the spring he does a 3K, a 5K and little league.

DN: Tuesday Religion from school; Rec soccer practice Tues. night; Wed even weeks Girl Scouts/odd weeks Church; Thursday she goes to her Moms until Sunday (most of the time); Saturday she has her soccer game

DS #4: Tuesday soccer pracice; Wednesday Church; Saturday soccer game.

I car pool where needed. We use the crock pot to cook dinner..... 

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM

We let them choose their activities and they can participate as long as their grades are good.

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I allow them to pick on thing at a time and then our church religious ed on top of that.  Maybe when they get older I will have to bend that, I don't know, but at this point it seems to work and our first priority is always school and homework.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:55 PM
My dd isn't into sports so we aren't traveling and stuck at practices. She belongs to a couple after school clubs and a monthly group. It's not too much, she enjoys everything without being stressed.
jose815
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM
grandmother
johnny4ever
3 weeks till school starts!
Yesterday at 7:22 AM
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

WE dont over schedule our selves

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)