Advertisement Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

If I had to name my kid again...

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies

Have you ever met someone who just doesn't seem like his or her name? You're your co-worker Nicky who really would be great as a Catherine. Or your neighbor Jane who embodies the name Esmeralda. Names. They are huge. Confession: I've always been into baby names for this reason - it has such an impact on a life. My sister is a doctor and whenever she's made the rounds for a newborn or two, I immediately ask, "What did they name him/her?" I've had a few friends give birth or adopt recently and was quite anxious (in a good way) to hear what name they had chosen for the new addition. And yes, I kept hitting refresh all during the Royal Baby Watch Week to discover the name of the youngest prince.

For someone so into baby names, you'd think I would have had a huge list of names to choose from for my own spawn, yet, really, it was probably one of the most difficult decisions I have made. My husband and I could not agree on a name, until we stumbled onto what we eventually called her, but it was a rough road.

Kiddo loves her name, but I asked her what she would pick as her name if she HAD to pick another one. Her choice: Molly, with Sally being a close second. These names? Totally not like her name and definitely not ones I would pick for her...she just isn't a Molly or a Sally. If I had to rename her, it would be hard, but I think I'd pick something like Tate or Sydney or Declan -- interesting, strong, could have some fun nicknames.

The funny thing is, when asked what would I chose for my name if I could, I'd also put those on my list. Hmmm, I'm sure there's something to this.

Do you ever regret the name you gave your kiddo? If you HAD to give your child a different name today, what would it be?

©iStockphoto.com/ Nastco  

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrissydan
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM
I love the name I gave dd Sophia just so classic.

I know no one who wanted to change their childs name
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Soleil if I had another girl or had to rename dd but I love the names we choose
Mznaye
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:07 AM
I love ds' name.
goldpandora
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:10 AM

It took us a long, long time to choose our daughter's names and I'm happy with both of them. They fit them really well. :)  So, to answer your question, I absolutely would NOT choose differently.

happymommy1105
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:14 AM

My first would still be Benjamin Charles, I love his name.

My second would be Nathan Alexander.  I love the name Nathan.  I love how Nathan Alexander sounds.  Daddy wanted Michael though, so he is Nathan Michael which is okay.

liveforever
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM

I dont regret dds name- Alexa. Its simple but not too overly common (at least in our area). If I had to rename her today itd be Cassandra. That was my 1st choice but dh threw a veto on it.

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My son's name suits him really well.

I have always wanted a different middle name for myself, though.

chattycassie
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I think my kids fit all of their names.
scoleman828
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I would change my oldest DD's name. Not because of not liking the name so much, but more the people she was named after. My ex (her dad) was insistent on her being named after family. I have always liked the name Kathryn and it just so happens that his sister's name is Kathryn. However, I wanted Kathryn Elizabeth. we ended up choosing Kathryn Suzanne, with Suzanne being after his mom. after we split it, his mom especially, was (and still is on the rare occasion I have to deal with her) very hostile towards me. For that reason, my DD's middle name is not my favorite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM

No I wouldn't change their names

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement