Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

If I had to name my kid again...

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you ever met someone who just doesn't seem like his or her name? You're your co-worker Nicky who really would be great as a Catherine. Or your neighbor Jane who embodies the name Esmeralda. Names. They are huge. Confession: I've always been into baby names for this reason - it has such an impact on a life. My sister is a doctor and whenever she's made the rounds for a newborn or two, I immediately ask, "What did they name him/her?" I've had a few friends give birth or adopt recently and was quite anxious (in a good way) to hear what name they had chosen for the new addition. And yes, I kept hitting refresh all during the Royal Baby Watch Week to discover the name of the youngest prince.

For someone so into baby names, you'd think I would have had a huge list of names to choose from for my own spawn, yet, really, it was probably one of the most difficult decisions I have made. My husband and I could not agree on a name, until we stumbled onto what we eventually called her, but it was a rough road.

Kiddo loves her name, but I asked her what she would pick as her name if she HAD to pick another one. Her choice: Molly, with Sally being a close second. These names? Totally not like her name and definitely not ones I would pick for her...she just isn't a Molly or a Sally. If I had to rename her, it would be hard, but I think I'd pick something like Tate or Sydney or Declan -- interesting, strong, could have some fun nicknames.

The funny thing is, when asked what would I chose for my name if I could, I'd also put those on my list. Hmmm, I'm sure there's something to this.

Do you ever regret the name you gave your kiddo? If you HAD to give your child a different name today, what would it be?

©iStockphoto.com/ Nastco  

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-56):
Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I do not regret our kids' names. 

Leelee1008
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

No, I like them. 

acrogodess
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 3:51 PM
No. Their names just fit them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM

No regrets here

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I would only change the name of my 18 yo. 

long story short. I knew what I wanted to name him, left bio dad due to abuse and more while pregnant.  Got involved with another guy who at first was great but quickly turned abusive.  He threateened to harm me and my older kids if I didnot give the baby his name if it was a boy and luist him on the BC.

If I could go back he would be Jagger Malcolm Stone

Vertical15
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I would change the spelling from Kowen to Koen.  Then people would have less trouble pronouncing it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)