Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Do you believe in luck?

Posted by   + Show Post

"Diligence is the mother of good luck" - Benjamin Franklin 

"People often remark that I'm pretty lucky. Luck is only important in so far as getting the chance to sell yourself at the right moment. After that, you've got to have talent and know how to use it." -- Frank Sinatra

It's Friday the 13, the first of two for 2013 (the most you can have in any year is three...go figure). For some, it could be a little dicey, others may embrace it, still others may be thinking, "What's the big deal? It's just another day." But we all know those horror flicks, we've all heard of folks changing travel plans so as not to fly on the day. Yup, this whole "Friday the 13 is unlucky" fear is pretty real for many (in fact, fear of Friday the 13th even has a name -- friggatriskaidekaphobia -- say that five times fast).

I'm not sure I believe in luck, per se. Sure, there are some board games or card games you play where there is absolutely no skill needed to win, it is purely the "luck of the draw or roll," just dependent on if the dice come up as 6s or 1s. But as far as life goes, I fall into that category that Ben Franklin and Frank Sinatra talk about in those quotes above. That, yes, there could be luck in terms as being in the right place at the right time, but If you aren't prepared, ready, have done a ton of work to before that, that "luck" of meeting that gal who can maybe publish your book or hire you is worth no more than a hill of beans, as my grandfather would say.

It is actually a matter of how you look at it, eh? I mean, if a bad thing happens, and you think, "Man, I just had bad luck today!", why not consider the opposite as well...and most of the time, you will think you have good luck!

Do you believe some people have more luck than others? Do you have a lucky penny or lucky underwear or anything like that? Do you like Friday the 13?

©iStockphoto.com/ hidesy 

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (51-58):
momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I do believe that.I am also very superstitious

Vertical15
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I don't have anything 'lucky' but I would say I believe in luck.  I don't have a problem with Friday the 13th.

slw123
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

No, not like that I don't.  We are all ultimately responsible for the outcome of our lives.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I do think so.  My BIL is one of the luckiest people I know.  I always tell him I am going to rub his belly for good luck.  lol

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Luck cannot exist because its definition depends on future events to bring meaning to it.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

No, I don't believe in luck...I do believe in Karma though. 

celestegood
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM
Same here, with little luck.

Quoting la1118:

I do believe in luck, somewhat.  I'm part Irish so you always hear about the luck o'the Irish.  I am only lucky with small things--I win a lot of little gift cards and stuff. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I definitely believe in karma.

Quoting cabrandy03:

No, I don't believe in luck...I do believe in Karma though. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)