Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Would /will you encourage your son to join the military?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM
  • 143 Replies
As a mom of a son I see things differently now. This is not meant as a debate simply a question if the heart.
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:57 AM
I didn't have to encourage my son. He decided that he was going into the military when he was in high school. He wanted to follow in his father, grandfather, and great grandfather footsteps. Unfortunately for him he wasn't able to join because of an undiagnosed medical issue. (Heart problems).
liveforever
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont have a son but if I did I would not encourage him to join the military. My dad was in the Navy and as a medic went into combat with the Marines. The things he saw and had to do caused a lot of problems hes still struggling with over 30 years later.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM
5 moms liked this

Honestly, I would not encourage him to join. If he wants to, I'll support him, but I would not be the one to encourage it otherwise.

brittany208
by Platinum Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM
3 moms liked this

no. i have respect for people who want to join the military, but i wouldnt want my boys to do it

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:53 AM
4 moms liked this

Every man who has meant a damn to me has been in the military. I'm 41 and have been associated with the military since birth. I have b/g twins and if they should ever decide to join it would be fine by me.

ashli488
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM
4 moms liked this

My dh is military, his father was before him, and his grandfathers were before them, and also my bil was in the military. i dont have a son, but i have a daughter. she is contantly telling me she wants to be like daddy when she grows up, shes 3 btw, we know that she immediately has that choice, whether she decides to go along with it is up to her. but from the time she started saying it i encourage her to be brave and do it if thats what she wants to do. i will be worried as any mother can be when their child goes into the military but i will be proud of her. if i have any other kids even a son yes i will said the same thing to them about joining. i will also let them know how hard it will be too.

Tigress22304
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I dont ahve a son but a stepson-and if the military was what he wanted to do-then so be it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
3 moms liked this

I have nothing but extreme respect for those that serve in the military, however... I've made it pretty clear to my kids that it's a path I am not comfortable with them taking. I would never put my foot down and forbid them from doing something they want to do, but at the same time I can't hold back my feelings of how scary the thought is of them serving in the military.

othermom
by Gold Member on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I don't know. It would be hard to have him go or my girls, but I would be proud of them

LauraMH
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I have never encouraged it but since my son was 5 he has wanted to join. I just tell him how respectable it is and I am very proud of him. He's now 9 now but still plans on joining. He wants to be in the Air Force. It makes me very proud that at such a young age he already knew. We will see as be gets older, but he is very passionate about it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)