Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Would /will you encourage your son to join the military?

Posted by   + Show Post
As a mom of a son I see things differently now. This is not meant as a debate simply a question if the heart.
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Replies (141-143):
starry_mom
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
My son has wanted to be in the military since he was 3, and I encourage his dreams. I wouldn't encourage someone who doesn't want to be in the military to join, but once my kids tell me what they want to do, I will encourage it whole heartedly
Natasha0704
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

My father's side of the family is a military family. You either go into the military or you marry into the military. My father retired after over twenty years serving in the Army. My brother has followed him and just finished his training and he is now based in Germany. It is scary for me. I love my brother dearly. I would hate for something to happen to him, but this is a choice he made. I support him 100%. When he first brought up he was thinking of joining, we talked about a lot of pros and cons about joining. It's his path to take, I just discussed what goes along with taking that path and he maded his own decision.

I do have a son, but even if I had a daughter, there is always a chance of having to discuss this one day. There are dangers no matter what path you choose, even if it isn't a military life. My own thing is that I wouldn't want anyone making a decision that large without all the facts. I would make sure he was educated on what to expect and leave the decision up to him. I would add that I would worry for him, just like I tell my brother that I worry for him.

earthangel1967
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Even though I have utmost respect admiration and deep gratitude to those who serve, including my dad who served in navy, my sister who served in  air force and my husband who served in  navy right out of high school  and then when  and signed back up for army national guard when  the towers went down (so is now a 2 time vet) and my sister does volunteer work with the vets to this day...

that being said.. NO! We strongly discouraged any of our daughters and sons from enlisting for quite a few reasons. I don't really want to get into here because I don't want people judging. We are gratetful none of our kids enlisted.

YVONNE

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN