Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Do We Raise Our Kids Without Going Broke?

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 59 Replies

Raising a child from age 0 to 18 costs American parents over $240,000! Financial Expert Carrie Sloan is back to show us that there are a lot of ways to save big money on a daily basis. 

How Do We Raise Our Kids Without Going Broke?

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjimaging
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM
My kids know they aren't going roger all the fanciest things. My oldest is 13 and she is great at getting by with what she has. She's fine with second had clothes. She doesn't have millions of shoes. Her school supplies are basic. My youngest is only four so he doesn't know the difference but we try never to go overboard. Never is a strong word I guess, occasionally we go overboard but it's rare. We just try to be mindful of the budget.
Mznaye
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I dont know. I give my baby who is 4 what he asks for and then some. He is my only one
jen113000
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM
Not sure lol.
Kaci
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM
You make sure that they have what they need but you don't give them everything that they want. That's what makes birthdays special. They get something they really want then.
Kmakksmom
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
My kids don't get everything they ask for. That's just asking for trouble down the road.
matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM

We are teaching the children to learn what is a want vs. a need. They save up their birthday/christmas money to get things they want. They have everything they need and a few extras. We try not to overdo it.

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Today at 8:35 AM
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:15 PM

dont spoil them rotten!

elasmimi
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM

We started out giving her everything she asked for, and not only are we going broke, she has become very materialistic. Changes coming to this house!

ablackdolphin
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I trade out things. I will not spend tons on toys but there is no limit to the amount of books I will buy.
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Agreed!

Quoting Kaci:

You make sure that they have what they need but you don't give them everything that they want. That's what makes birthdays special. They get something they really want then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)