Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

How Do We Raise Our Kids Without Going Broke?

Posted by   + Show Post

Raising a child from age 0 to 18 costs American parents over $240,000! Financial Expert Carrie Sloan is back to show us that there are a lot of ways to save big money on a daily basis. 

How Do We Raise Our Kids Without Going Broke?

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Replies (51-59):
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I'm not sure how much I agree with having your child pay for college. Half might be ok, but it depends how costly it gets. DH's parents decided it would be good for DH to pay for college himself. He couldn't keep up with working to pay for college, college, and the other bills, like car insurance and such, and ended up going into debt with student loans and had to stop going. No lesson was learned there and instead of helping him, it hurt him. 

abifasc
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM
We can't afford to get much more than necessities but I do love to save and get special things for them.
jadire
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Here's how you stop that mess. When they start asking for high dollar stuff.....don't say no. Say YES!!...But you have to pay half....screeech...stopped dead in their tracks, they are. LOL.
Jerichos_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM

One don't let society and "fashion  gurus" tell you or your kids how much you have to spend.

momofsixangels
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Wish I knew the answer
othermom
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I have already started to teach my kids about saving money. They like save theirs to buy their toys and games. They help us with shopping, help me coupon, ect
Desirae1394
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Appreciation for what you have is huge! I think letting them see the reality that even if there are things we don't have that they wish we did, that there are others with FAR less is important too. Makes them aware. :)
CookiePwnz
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Good question, when you find the answer let me know!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

conweis
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM
My kids have known from the beginning that we are on a budget. I tell them how much I have to spend when we go to the store and they help me add up everything but that all flies out the window when they hear the ice cream truck LOL!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)