Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Manners and Kids: Part 1

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 51 Replies

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use." -- Emily Post 

I totally agree with Ms. Post on this: basics of navigating a dinner table aside, good manners are about interacting with others. It's noticing, hey, there are other people in this world aside from me and they should be thought about too.

Number one reason why should we teach our kids good manners? It will make our world a better place so they all don't grow up to be ill-mannered adults. When you think about it, it goes hand in hand with another prime reason too. It's a bit selfish, but selfishly born out of love for your kid.

You teach your kids manners because, let's face it, kids (and adults) with good manners are liked. No other kid is going to want to play with a kid who is rude or can't share or isn't kind. As they get older, your child, with good manners, will go farther than a person who wasn't taught the importance of good manners. Period. Providing your child guidance and knowledge about manners and enforcing good manners, well, that's helping their social life skills.

So, what kinds of manners should we be teaching? Of course there are the usuals -- pleases and thank yous, you're welcomes and excuse mes and all that. But there are a few others that I've found I need to work on with Kiddo (she's six, remember). One of the main ones is tackling some more sophisticated table manners, like staying at the table during dinner. This is a biggie for us. Many kids are fast eaters, or they don't get caught up as much with conversation as we adults do, so they finish faster...and then want to leave. Waiting to be excused, making dinner table chit-chat, learning to be a good dining companion are all key manners she will use for the rest of her life.

What are the main manners you are working on these days with your kids?

©iStockphoto.com/ kaan tanman

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ablackdolphin
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:21 AM
To stop screaming all the time ugh!!
copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM

To always say please and thank you and behave in public! :)

matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Please and Thank you are impressed on them at birth. We lead by action so the children see us holding doors for people, we say sir or ma'am (even if this Southern girl get's looks from a large amount of the northerners I live around now).

Mother to Jared(1/11). Liam(12/12)

Follow me on Pintrest! Our Homeschool Journey Here

goddess99
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:32 AM

We covered manners quite a while ago. I guess we more try to re-enforce if we see a slip.

Roo1234
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
one manner that seems to be forgotten by a lot of adults is to not block aisles/ sidewalks/ etc. If you stop to look at something, to chat with a neighbor, to deal with your child's meltdown... move off to the side.

It is all about being aware of your surroundings
jessicasmom1
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

to be nice to others

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I'm trying to teach my son not to be rude. Last year he had a kindergarten "girlfriend" and this year she is not in his class and he has decided that they aren't "together" anymore, but he hasn't told her. He is being kind of rude to her and not talking to her, so yesterday I had him wave at her while she was in class (he got out earlier than she did and we were by the gym class that she was in). I guess he doesn't like her chasing him at recess. LOL

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Mostly dinner table manners... Not taking ridiculously large bites of food, chewing with the mouth closed, not talking with food in the mouth, using a napkin to wipe the face/hands/whatever... Meal time is usually really attractive around here.

elasmimi
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I'm from the south, so yes m'am and yes sir are biggies for us. Don't know why this child is not getting it.

EmptyNestMama
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Indoor voices, please, thank you, excuse me! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)