Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

Manners and Kids: Part 2

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies

Obviously, it's Manners Week here at Mad Life. A whole week chatting about manners. But why not? it's a biggie, one every single parent I know deals with: getting our little people to make it a habit, a way of life to carry good manners with them and use them. Like, all of the time, not just when reminded.

Now I'm going to sound really old: if I had a nickel every time, I prompted Kiddo with an "And what should you add to that request?" after she asks for something without "please" attached to it, I'd be rich...or at least have a wonderful new fall wardrobe. It's constant, this enforcing good manners thing.

Overall, Kiddo is pretty good, but there are a few bits we are still working on - some are new, as she's getting older and we are adding and expecting some more intricate manners. What's been poking up lately?

Talking to adults. Getting her more comfortable talking with and addressing adults the proper way has been a biggie in recent months. Answering questions with more than with a "Yes" or "No." Asking questions back to an adult we encounter in the elevator...you know, it's hard. But it is a good life skill, and good manners that she needs to know.

Asking where it is okay to eat. We spend lots of times at other people's apartments and often there are snacks consumed, juice boxes offered and so on. Where to eat to those snacks should be asked. Some folks have a "no food in the bedroom/living room" policy, while others are a "eat wherever" abode. Asking what is okay and waiting for others to receive their snacks are tough manners to remember in the middle of mega-playtime fun.

Having a proper handshake. Right, not quite a manner per se, but an action that often goes along for the ride when doing good manner-y things like introducing yourself or greeting people. Firm, but not too squeezey, how long to do it, and so on. 

Are your kids good at talking to adults? How about that handshake? Have you ever shaken hands with someone who had a not-so-great handshake? 

©iStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz 

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM
LOL yeah, my kids are pretty good at talking to adults. Although we're working on it with the younger two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjimaging
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM
They talk well with adults they know. My oldest can talk to anyone but my youngest gets shy. I certainly have had a few sloppy handshakes, people you wouldn't expect it from either.
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:28 AM
My dd is shy and we are working in her talking with adults. She is doing well with handshakes tho.
My dd will wait until everyone has a snack before eating. She is being brought up to wait until all are sitting for meals before eating.

I've had my share of not so great handshakes.
matt_sara_mom
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM

My older two are great with adults, my autistic son doesn't do well (very understandable) and the baby well he does great smiles

wandep
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM

My kids do pretty well.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

These are skills that a lot of kids don't have. The child should be shown to look the adult (to whom he has been introduced) in the eye and smile, and if the adult extends his right hand to be shaken, then the child extends his. Also the usual pleasantries should be something the child knows about.

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My youngest son is quite the talker. When we walk the dog we stop and talk to neighbors so I figure that is good practice for the talking to adults.

nngmommy83
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

DS is very shy and isn't good about talking to adults but were working on the handshake thing =)

DD is much better at it now that she's older

SarahSuzyQ
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:59 AM

My son loves to talk to adults, he'll yak your ear off. His issue with this is interrupting. We working hard on saying, "Excuse me please" and then waiting to be acknowledged... As opposed to saying, "Excuse me please" and then launching into a long story! :)

sukainah
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:02 PM

My youngest is rather good at talking to anyone LOL, but my oldest is very shy and doesn't talk to anyone.  We are working on handshakes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement