Advertisement
Cafemom and Target Present: Mad Life
Helping today’s parents improve their relationships, feel better about themselves and raise happy, health kids.

The Manners I'm Working On

Posted by   + Show Post

Manners. There are good manners, bad manners, and just plain ugly manners (which are also known as rude behavior). And within all of those categories, we all have those that we value higher, bad manners that irk us more than other bad manners.

We live in a city of 8 million folks, so somewhere, at any given time, someone could be doing great manners and many times, another person could be doing really not-so-great manners. (Don't even get me started on the folks that clip their toenails on the subway...yes, I'm hearing collective "eewwwww!" from you all, but it happens. Often.) For me, high on that "bad manners that really get under my skin" list (aside from grooming in public): not giving up a seat on the subway for pregnant women or elderly folks...and people who smack their gum. Others I know think that is the worst behavior ever is when someone interrupts someone else.

Now, I like to think I have good manners, ones that I show and model for Kiddo. But that is one manner that I fall short on. Sometimes I interrupt folks. My brain gets going too fast, and I think the other person is done talking, but they aren't but I don't know it and I start with my question. I usually stop myself but, still, I know I do it at times.

Teaching Kiddo about how not to interrupt me when I'm in a conversation and to wait til I'm done has definitely highlighted for me the importance of getting better at this good mannerly trait. The key for teaching kids not to interrupt? The whole "excuse me" thing is good, but also illuminating them to the art of listening and "sensing" when it is okay to say "excuse me" and get their request in to you as you chat with her BFF's mom. If they don't learn that, they will be sitting there saying "excuse me" 13 times before it's ok, if you know what I mean. It's a tricky thing to learn, but one that will be so helpful down the road.

What manners do you find you need to remember more often than you do? Which ones do you need to work on? Which bad manners irk you the most?

©iStockphoto.com/ marekuliasz 

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-42):
jen113000
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this
My son does that too! Drives me insane! I stress the importance of personal space!

Quoting RobynS:

DS needs to learn how to respect other people's personal space. He tends to put his hands in your face--just today, he was pointing at his sister and his finger was just inches from her nose. So rude! I've been telling him since he was 2 not to put things (toys, his hands, etc) in people's faces!! (he's 8)

dusky_rose
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I think that I am pretty good in the manners department.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)